1085 carb questions/ tuning guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1085 carb questions/ tuning guide

It seems that a lot of people here have built 1085 Suzuki mills. Just an informal poll as to what each is running for carbs and maybe cams, how they run and maybe some tuning guides.

I ran a GS1000G a few years ago with a 4 into 1 motad, standard airbox and 2 sizes up on the main jets.
    When I hopped it up to 1085, I didn't change anything, and the carburation was, if anything, smoother.

Comment

I am doing the 1085 as soon as I figure out which 1000 I am keeping. I'm guessing it will get slightly richer if anything when the 1085 kit goes in.
      If no other changes are made such as pipe or intake, the same jetting should work fine.
      This is all just a guess, have not done it yet.

If I put it on the GS1000 (stock intake/exhaust, CV carbs) I might go up one main jet size just to ensure it is not too lean, and one shim richer for the needle as I plan on running the snot out of it to seal the rings, stock jetting is pretty lean.

If I put it on the 750/1000 projectile (K&N pods and a V&H pipe, VM carbs) I will keep what jets I have in there now, it is very close to perfect.

Either way plug chops will be done early in the break in to check.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My 1085 has a ported head (78-79 head) and will have a 4-1 V&H or Kerker and VM33's with K&N pods. I'm not sure about the jetting yet. I'll start with what Mikuni recommends and go from there.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

MY 1085 has a 1980 head, ported and cut with web cams, pods and 4 into 1 exhaust. I am currently trying to get some 36mm flatslides to work with not to much success. I still have my stock 29's with a stage three dyno-jet installed that I might slap on to see if they work ok.

Comment

My 78 is stock except for the 1085 kit

I went up to pilot 20, main 105 for better running on gasahol
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

How do your 1085's run compared to stock?-Power wise and reliability?

Comment

The 36s are too much carb.
                Can you put the 29s on an 80 head?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  The 36s are too much carb.
                  Can you put the 29s on an 80 head?
                  With adapter boots you can. Sudco sells them.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I was told to run the 36's by a tuner here on these pages??? Maybe a call to Sudco is order. Anyone have the part number to those boots? Replaceing the head is not an option after the mnoney I spent on it!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                      How do your 1085's run compared to stock?-Power wise and reliability?
                      Noticeably more torque than stock, but it can take out the starter clutch.

Comment

Ck'ed Sudcos web site for carb boots. Does anyone have a catalog to see if they offer carb boots to put 29;s on an 1980 head? Also I wonder how much for some 33's from Sudco? Sorry to be a pain but I am getting frustrated with this carb set-up!!

Comment

Ck'ed Sudcos web site for carb boots. Does anyone have a catalog to see if they offer carb boots to put 29;s on an 1980 head? Also I wonder how much for some 33's from Sudco? Sorry to be a pain but I am getting frustrated with this carb set-up!!
                          I'll check Sudco and see if I can find them.

Here's a nice set of 33's on ebay right now:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Just spoke with Sudco--no boots. They seem to think 36mm carbs will work. They even seel a kit to put 36's on a GS1000

Comment

Just spoke with Sudco--no boots. They seem to think 36mm carbs will work. They even seel a kit to put 36's on a GS1000
                              Might work for drag racing.
                              Might suck big time in regular riding.
                              Let us know how it works out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X