Suddenly,lots of oil blowing out of tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly,lots of oil blowing out of tube

HIE GUYS, & LADIES! Heres the deal,I have a 81 1100E, its been running fine until this,i was running the highway about 80mph for 8 miles or so, oil pressure about 6psi,running smooth, all of a sudden oil pressure pegs the 15psi gauge and oil blows out of the breather tube everywhere, i get the bike home and check compression, 1-140, 2-143, 3-55, 4-140 (dry) added oil to all, 1-150, 2-155, 3-90, 4-150, the bike still starts & runs will smoke out of tube only,not the pipes, oh i do have pods on it jetted correctly and all, this just happend 2 days ago, all help is so apriciated thanks CHRIS
    Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM.

Sounds like...

Originally posted by wineburger83 View Post
    HIE GUYS, & LADIES! Heres the deal,I have a 81 1100E, its been running fine until this,i was running the highway about 80mph for 8 miles or so, oil pressure about 6psi,running smooth, all of a sudden oil pressure pegs the 15psi gauge and oil blows out of the breather tube everywhere, i get the bike home and check compression, 1-140, 2-143, 3-55, 4-140 (dry) added oil to all, 1-150, 2-155, 3-90, 4-150, the bike still starts & runs will smoke out of tube only,not the pipes, oh i do have pods on it jetted correctly and all, this just happend 2 days ago, all help is so apriciated thanks CHRIS
    Sounds like a oil passage has clogged, I would change oil, filter, check for any metals or foriegn material in oil.. Get the engine good and warm before you drop the oil...

Comment

#3 hole is shot. Did you burn a piston or ring, forcing pressure into the crankcase and thusly blowing oil out the breather tube?

Pressure relief hang up in the pump?

Either way...#3 needs to be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        #3 hole is shot. Did you burn a piston or ring, forcing pressure into the crankcase and thusly blowing oil out the breather tube?

Pressure relief hang up in the pump?

Either way...#3 needs to be looked at.
        Yea, sounds like #3 is toast. Excessive blow by pressurized the crankcase, blew out the oil, and led to a false reading on the oil pressure gauge. Time to pull the head...
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wasn't looking..

Didn't see the #3 compression, thought it was 155#.. Yeap, #3 is poop...

Comment

Are you going left to right facing forward? I hope you're not confusing #3 with #2.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Maybe not, need more information. What was the compression before this failure? Was #3 the same as the others? Your post implies you were just cruising along, is this correct? No 12,000 RPM missed shifts or anything? How much oil was in the crankcase after this failure? Was it an oil burner or a good tight engine up to this point?

I have run lots of GSes with low compression, none did the oil pumping thing like this, none had any oil pressure changes, and I don't see how blowby could effect the oil pressure reading other than adding a little head pressure to the pump intake.... Low compression test numbers could be a symptom of something else, like tight valve clearances or a burnt valve. You wet test indicates a ring problem, but rings don't just suddenly fail going down the road, if the rings were worn that badly it would have been a gradual change over thousands of miles.

Something suddenly changed but rings suddenly failing doesn't make sense to me.
              Last edited by tkent02; 03-27-2010, 04:00 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The only thing I could think of is maybe he melted a piston?? Small hole could still allow some compression, but pressurize the crankcase when running. Need to remove the head for inspection..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  The only thing I could think of is maybe he melted a piston?? Small hole could still allow some compression, but pressurize the crankcase when running. Need to remove the head for inspection..
                  Melting pistons doesn't usually happen just cruising along the road, either.
                  Right, Chef?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Melting pistons doesn't usually happen just cruising along the road, either.
                    Right, Chef?
                    By any means was my piston hole small. My wall of shame tells the tale.
                    I'm hoping he just has the order of the cylinders wrong, washed out the cylinder with gas and filled the crank case.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

That happened on one of my 1980 1000s, when the little plug in the carb between the venturi and the float bowl went missing. Tons of fuel pulled into the #3 cylinder, lots of white smoke out the exhaust at the time, it runs fine now but compression tests low. No oddities with the oil system or smoke through the breather, though.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 03-27-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

okay guys thanks for all the input,after reading the first 2 replies i went and got a bike machanic friend, he told me more than likely rings or pistons burned, so we tore it down, to our surprise the rings split into, ( but they stayed inside the grooves), which allowed pressure to blow thru, but no damage to the cylinder at all,he took the head and cylinder to his shop to check futher, we dont know what cause all that,ecept old, ( 28000 miles on it, 8 i put on) again thanks all. Chris

Comment

Broken rings and no damage to the cylinder?
                          Consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            Broken rings and no damage to the cylinder?
                            Consider yourself lucky.
                            Quote of the day!

Were either you or I this lucky...I think not.

Mine just happened to be on an all original 1968- 300hp, four bolt main, small block 350 Chev with 36K original miles on the long block!

Time for a HP boost, for me...

Comment

okay guys thanks for all the input,after reading the first 2 replies i went and got a bike machanic friend, he told me more than likely rings or pistons burned, so we tore it down, to our surprise the rings split into, ( but they stayed inside the grooves), which allowed pressure to blow thru, but no damage to the cylinder at all,he took the head and cylinder to his shop to check futher, we dont know what cause all that,ecept old, ( 28000 miles on it, 8 i put on) again thanks all. Chris
                              Um, this is a Suzuki GS, 28,000 isn't old at all, at 128,000 most still run fine, something went wrong to cause it to fail...

Put a smile on your face, it's time for a big bore kit.

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X