Starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter problems

I am kinda new to dealing with starters. Have a 1982 GS1100G, 34000 miles. Lately When ever I leave the bike sitting for a week or so I go to start the bike and it seems the starter is not engaging all the way. I hear clanking and sometimes the starter just spins. After the bike is warmed up its fine the rest of the day. I'm worried that something may get damaged. Should I pull off the cover and check the starter clutch or just replace the starter first? Any help is appreciated. Thx.

When you said clacking - the first thing I thought, starter clutch.

Trouble I had was I could not see it till I remove the rotor (which wasnt easy).
    85 1150E

Comment

Starter clutch. You probably sheared off a bolt or two. Soon it will quit all together.
      Buy a rotor puller and take off the stator cover.
      It should come to you after that.
      Last edited by chef1366; 03-28-2010, 02:05 AM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Can you tell me where I can purchase a rotor puller? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by drjpb View Post
          Can you tell me where I can purchase a rotor puller? Thx
          I see them on Ebay all the time and places like Z1.
          Don't use heat because the magnets are glued on the rotor.
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I pulled off the cover. I'm concerned that there is some damage to the clutch. There are 3 spots on the outside where it looks like the metal has broken through. See the pic.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I think it's probably a good thing you took it apart when you did. I hope the loose parts are still inside the clutch assembly.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Any ideas of why it works fine after warmed up, but gives trouble when cold?? My buddy's "83" Honda CB1100F was doing this same thing, only worse. First start-up every morning would take many bumps of the starter button. Most times with just the starter gears spinning, but every few bumps, it gave a slight clank, like it was trying to catch, but didn't. Finally after maybe 40 or 60 bumps it would catch & start. After it started & warmed up, it would start fine the rest of the day. Next morn, same thing. We took it apart yesterday, expecting to find a broke spring or two, in the clutch, but everything looked fine. Thinking the old springs may have lost a little tension in the past 27 years, we stretched them appx. 3/8" & put it back together, and all worked fine. Will take a few days for me to be confident it's fixed, but yesterday eng. was cold & everything seemed good. What's the deal with warm or cold, would the springs apply more pressure to the rollers when warm & less pressure when cold??? I know I was working on a HONDA, but the starter systems are almost identical to the SUZUKI.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Engines spin easier in warm oil.

Comment

Do you have a Suzuki OEM part number? I found several on on ebay. Thx

Comment

Not sure what size I need.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                          X