Fork spring question.....length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork spring question.....length?

Ok, Now I'm asking some questions that are probably on here somewhere, but I couldn't find the answers.
    I'm rebuilding the forks that I got from another GSR member last year, they came from a '79 750L as I remember. Anyway, they've been leaking like a sieve ever since I put them on my bike.
    Today, I tore apart my old fork legs. They were all original and spring length measures 425.4mm.
    The springs from the "new" forks are 546.1mm long. Naturally, the spacers are shorter for the longer springs. Are these longer springs Progressives or some other aftermarket Progressive knock off? These springs have equidistant coil spacing unlike the stock Suzuki springs.
    I know some of you guys are real spring gurus, if you need pictures, I'll take them tomorrow. I plan on assembling the forks with new seals tomorrow, I've got more stuff to get done before Thursday's ride.

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
    Ok, Now I'm asking some questions that are probably on here somewhere, but I couldn't find the answers.
    I'm rebuilding the forks that I got from another GSR member last year, they came from a '79 750L as I remember. Anyway, they've been leaking like a sieve ever since I put them on my bike.
    Today, I tore apart my old fork legs. They were all original and spring length measures 425.4mm.
    The springs from the "new" forks are 546.1mm long. Naturally, the spacers are shorter for the longer springs. Are these longer springs Progressives or some other aftermarket Progressive knock off? These springs have equidistant coil spacing unlike the stock Suzuki springs.
    I know some of you guys are real spring gurus, if you need pictures, I'll take them tomorrow. I plan on assembling the forks with new seals tomorrow, I've got more stuff to get done before Thursday's ride.
    Hey Dan, are the springs/ forks from the same make/ model bike?

If so, they may be an aftermarket spring w/spacer to give a little stiffer fork rate.

Comment

All the stock Suzuki springs *I* have ever seen are progressively wound, just like PROGRESSIVE springs. But, Progressive uses what looks to be a heavier gauge wire for their springs. I remember seeing in one of the many manuals i have that some bikes had TWO sets of springs in the forks, the long ones, and then little short ones.. Dont remember the models, but i seem to remember those bikes having springs like the ones you pulled.

One thing you CAN do is simply add longer spacers, adding more preload. It will make even older softer springs feel a little better for a while. Obviously the best suggestion is replacing with new Progressives, but if your budget cant afford that right now, a longer spacer than the one you pulled out will help a bit, as a cheap temporary fix. Also, if you find that even the progressive models that are suggested for your bike are still a little soft for your liking, you can either use a longer spacer, or buy a different model. I noticed while shopping for my progressives that the model that is suggested for the 1100E is actually just a touch shorter than stock. The next model up is 1.5 inches LONGER than stock, and by using those, you'll get a stiffer front end. I would assume that you'd be more into a comfortable ride rather than a stiffer one that while not quite as comfortable, handles a bit better in the corners. Play with spacer lengths, just that alone can make the bike feel quite a bit different, in a good way

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        Hey Dan, are the springs/ forks from the same make/ model bike?

If so, they may be an aftermarket spring w/spacer to give a little stiffer fork rate.
        As I remember it, they came from a '79 750L. I was looking for my old e-mails when we were making the deal, and I must have deleted them. I can't remember the sign in name he had either. I think I'll probably use them and add the longer spacer that came with the stock springs, see how that works. I'd like to have less fork dive than I've had with the stock springs, and the original forks were holding air just fine. I do have the fairing on it as well, I guess it's experimentation time.

Comment

Dan, here is the fiche for the 79L OEM springs.

I parted an 81 650L that had two springs in the tube the same as the fiche shows. My guess is you already have aftermarket springs of some kind if you only pulled one spring out of the tube. The longer spacer should help and I have also seen posts by Nessism on cutting the length of the spring to stiffen the rate but would have no idea on what length to cut off.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I think I saved the thread on cutting the stock springs down and using some PVC pipe to accomplish similar results to installing the Progressive springs. I was surprised at the difference in spring length between the two forks, and what the article that BC references on fork rebuilding gives on what the acceptable length of the springs are.

Comment

You can have my old Springs if you want to play with them.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                You can have my old Springs if you want to play with them.

For now, I'll put them together with what I've got, but I think I'll take you up on that offer, Dave. I'll just have to set up a time with you that I can swing down and pick them up.
                Thanks.

Comment

Dave, Dan and I are going for a ride on Thursday.

I am off this week. Can we meet somewhere so I can pick up the springs for him?

Thanks!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                    Can we meet somewhere so I can pick up the springs for him?
                    Sure, get on I35 and go south. Keep going.....little more.....more.....when you get to Houston, TX thats where im at . The springs are in my shed in Lakeville. You can go rooting around in there but finding anything in that shed is a crap shoot.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Sure, get on I35 and go south. Keep going.....little more.....more.....when you get to Houston, TX thats where im at . The springs are in my shed in Lakeville. You can go rooting around in there but finding anything in that shed is a crap shoot.
                      Stopped by the shed this morning and got the springs and a few "other items" I needed for my bike.

Just kidding! When are you leaving for Texas? I can ride down and get them if you are still around.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                        Dave, Dan and I are going for a ride on Thursday.

I am off this week. Can we meet somewhere so I can pick up the springs for him?

Thanks!

Rick
                        Yeah sure...burn up the metro and leave me out of it!
                        That's fine, I'd hate to show you all up on my wimpy little 650L

Comment

Dave, come along! We'd love to have ya.

Are you available Thursday? I am meeting Dan up in Milaca and going for a little cruise.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                            Yeah sure...burn up the metro and leave me out of it!
                            That's fine, I'd hate to show you all up on my wimpy little 650L
                            Hey Dave, you're invited. I'd look forward to your wimpy lil' 650 L showing up my powerful 850 L, or Rick's more powerful 750 L.

Comment

It all makes sense now!

If you have an L then you came come on a ride with us !

L of course standing for the most Lovely, Like-able and Luscious of all the models!

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X