Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Brake Light

I tried searching for this but couldn't get the answer I was looking for,

If you get an LED Brake light, with 3 wires going to it like an original brake light, do you need a resistor to make it work properly or will it just wire in?

Originally posted by kruppy761 View Post
    I tried searching for this but couldn't get the answer I was looking for,

If you get an LED Brake light, with 3 wires going to it like an original brake light, do you need a resistor to make it work properly or will it just wire in?
    There is a chance that it is already wired for use in a 12-volt system, but how was it advertised?

What brand/model light?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found it at a swap meet, no brand nothing on it just a light for $5.00, I didn't end up getting it though I think I should have.

Comment

The other day I bought an interesting looking LED 1157 replacement biulb from Pep Boys. Unlike the other LEDs I've seen, this one had tiny LEDs all over it and the idea was that it went in all directions to make better use of the reflector. It said it was 3 times brighter, blah, blah, blah. So I took it home and installed it. It was so dim that I went back to the bulb. Fortunately, Pep Boys gave me my 20 bucks back.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I put a red 6" LED light bar on the back of my 78 GS750EC that I use as a running / brake light and didn't have to do anything special; just wired it in to the existing wiring. I mounted mine on the flat spot on the tail cover piece just above the existing tail light. Man is it bright. My friends that follow me say it difinitely out shines to stock tail light.
          You could just try wirining it in and see what happens. Mine was a three wire unit as well.
          GS750Guy

Comment

Hi,

I put a red 5w Luxeon LED 1157 replacement bulb in my tail light. It's outstandingly bright. I got it from superbriteleds.com, but I don't see that particular bulb there right now. I have also used the 3w version and it was very bright as well, brighter than the incandescent. A new tail light lens helps too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Be patient, my dear friends...
              I think Mr. Steve is onto something...

Comment

Not quite ready, Mr. Gert.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Not quite ready, Mr. Gert.

Wait, what? What's in the works?

Comment

As long as the LEDs are setup for 12v no, you do not need a resistor. The reason you read about LEDs needing resistors is because people like to replace the turn signals with LEDs and the LEDs do not draw enough current to operate the mechanical flashers.

I just finished an LED tail light conversion (as of about a half hour ago) and I will be posting a write up here in just a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the info I saw another post just after this one of using a trailer light and that seems like a pretty good idea, I might go with something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                        Wait, what? What's in the works?
                        I have been working on a board FULL of LEDs that will replace the single bulb in the tail light.

The first model will fit the L bikes (and the Ts and other bikes that share that style of light).
                        I have promised Gert that he will get one of the first ones I am comfortable shipping.

The next model will be the squared-off light that is on the G models (and a few others).
                        I am starting with these two models because, well, that's what's in my garage.

I also have a design for the lights in the 16-valve 750 and 1100E models.
                        Won't be hard to get that one going after I determine the resistor requirements.

Also working on putting white LEDs pointing down to illuminate the license plate.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Dull the tops of the leds with sandpaper to diffuse the light better. Instead of being very direct it will mimic a lightbulb.
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I have been working on a board FULL of LEDs that will replace the single bulb in the tail light.

The first model will fit the L bikes (and the Ts and other bikes that share that style of light).
                            I have promised Gert that he will get one of the first ones I am comfortable shipping.

The next model will be the squared-off light that is on the G models (and a few others).
                            I am starting with these two models because, well, that's what's in my garage.

I also have a design for the lights in the 16-valve 750 and 1100E models.
                            Won't be hard to get that one going after I determine the resistor requirements.

Also working on putting white LEDs pointing down to illuminate the license plate.

Ive seen this in person, And its....bright...to say the least. I do believe i actually made a comment about getting pulled over for it being TOO bright.. seriously, it might blow someones retinas out. But hey, if it keeps me from getting rear ended, I'll take TWO please

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Ive seen this in person, And its....bright...to say the least. I do believe i actually made a comment about getting pulled over for it being TOO bright.. seriously, it might blow someones retinas out. But hey, if it keeps me from getting rear ended, I'll take TWO please
                              Seconded. I'd be very interested in fitting one to my 1100EZ, once Steve gets that far.

Comment

Working...
                              X