Cam Chain Links Out of Synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Links Out of Synch

The following diagram from the Suzuki Factory GS650E Workshop Manual does not make sense to me. Can someone explain please?

When I am doing my cam timing the manual says there should be 19 pins between the #2 and #3 arrows on the respective cam sprockets.

It will be seen by the above diagram that the 1st pin is on the right hand side of the outside chain link. So in my calculations the 19th pin should also be on the right hand side of an outside link. As both are odd numbers. Yet the manual shows 1st pin on right side and 19th pin on left side of a link.

Am I going crazy. Did Mr Suzuki get it wrong. Am I seeing things the wrong way round.

Do I just count 19 pins and leave it at that or does the pin on the left side of the link above arrow #3 on intake sprocket have to line up. This means it would be eith 18th or 20th pin.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2010, 08:15 PM.

It's just a screwed up illustration. As long as you have the right number of pins between the timing marks you're okay.

Comment

Yes it looks like the diagram is wrong.

On my GS750 which has 20 pins between the arrows for correct timing, the pins line up like your image.
      1979 GS750E

Comment

Just think of odd and even numbers. Any odd number will be the same pin on each link.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
          Yes it looks like the diagram is wrong.

On my GS750 which has 20 pins between the arrows for correct timing, the pins line up like your image.
          Same here 20 pins. Suzuki probably used the same image for both pin counts.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Just think of odd and even numbers. Any odd number will be the same pin on each link.
            Yeah Bill that's my problem, the links are out of whack on the diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              Same here 20 pins. Suzuki probably used the same image for both pin counts.
              Thanks Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                It's just a screwed up illustration. As long as you have the right number of pins between the timing marks you're okay.
                Thanks Billy and you too Coady

Comment

NO the diagram is not wrong. I hate using absolutes but most US models have exhaust #1 pointing directly to the cylinder head surface with 20 pins between #2 & #3. The Aussie models are different, what else is new? Aussie also received the Mikuni VM30 on the GS1000 which no one else received

Have a look at the link below and scroll down to the bottom and you will see the same configuration used on a Aussie GS1000S "Valve Timing for the GS1000ST" That manual shows the Aussie & Canada (Other) models, the Canadian model shows the familiar twenty pin count.

gs1000st, gs1000, gs1000s, suzuki gs1000, suzuki gs1000s, suzuki gs1000st, gs1000s 1980, gs1000 st, 1980 gs1000s, 1980 gs1000
                  Last edited by srsupertrap; 03-28-2010, 08:57 PM.
                  1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post

I got interested and pulled the GS1000 service manual to compare apples & oranges. What is significant about this drawing is the exhaust cam is rotated CCW by one tooth. The arrow below the #1 normally points to the cylinder head surface in the US/Canadian models. Your GS650 manual illustration does not show that. So when installing your exhaust cam follow the normal installation of finding TDC F1.4, then pull up tight on the cam chain & position the exhaust cam as shown. Count 19 pins and that will ensure the #3 arrow on the intake cam is facing staright up or perpendicular to the cylinder head surface. The pin count is off but the #1, #2 & #3 arrows are correct
                    Last edited by srsupertrap; 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM.
                    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Thanks for the extra detail SUPERTRAP. Looks like I might have to look into this a bit deeper.

The motor is actually an Aussie 550 bottom end and 650 cylinder head with U.S 650E cams (different from GS650G) and sprockets. So I am not sure where to go from here.

Anyone out there with a 650E model that knows how to set the cams. Any advice from someone that's done it would be very useful.

Comment

I would set it up for the US cam timing with the #1 arrow parallel with the case, count back 19 pins with # 2 and 3 strait up. I doubt there is any differences in the cranks. With two people, it is possible to rotate a cam without having to tear it down again or remove the cam chain. A friend of mine rebuilt two GS 750's and got the cam timing off on both bikes. We were able to rotate the crank to the timing mark, remove the bearing caps from the cams, having one person hold tension on the chain and get enough slack to roll the cam up the chain, disengage the sprocket and realign the cam and roll it back down the chain to the proper timing mark. It is most likely easier on the 750's because of the sprocket idler in the middle of the cams for a little extra slack when removed, but can be done (very carefully). The one bike we have done runs fine now. Not a recommended procedure but possible if you are patient. Here is a link to the 650E manual: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...ice_Manual.pdf
                        Last edited by OldVet66; 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Those lines on the end of the cams should face each other as well - that's another check. Looks to me as if the picture is right.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                            Aussie also received the Mikuni VM30 on the GS1000 which no one else received
                            Some UK bikes were the same (plus the cams).
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                              Those lines on the end of the cams should face each other as well - that's another check. Looks to me as if the picture is right.
                              Except that the pin shown as the 19th is actually the 20th pin in the diagram.

I have worked out that there are different size sprockets used on the respective motors. Mine has 30 teeth on the camshaft sprocket which means 15 teeth on the crank and the 650G has 34 teeth on the cams and 17 on the crank. That would be why the "G" model needs to go to the 20th pin to allow the chain to go over the larger sprockets and the "E" is reduced to the 19th pin to allow for the smaller sprockets.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X