Cam chain noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain noise...

Getting a dragging noise from the top end of the motor from what sounds like the cam chain dragging on the plastic cam chain guides. It gets louder with higher RPMs. The top end was rebuilt about 3000 miles ago but the cam chain wasn't replaced at that time.

Should I:

a) try to take out any slack in the chain using the installed APE manual cam chain tensioner
    b) replace the cam chain - probably due at this point? Is it possible to replace the chain without splitting the cases? Seems like you should be able to remove the tension from the chain, break the old chain, then attach the old chain to the new one using a master link, then turn the motor by hand to thread the new chain around the crankshaft camchain sprocket, then reset the timing and tension down the new cam chain.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2010, 12:01 AM.

Doesn't your engine have a top gear that the chain runs on? I've seen those wear out on KZs.
    You can try an APE tensioner but to replace the chain I'd split the cases and install a HD chain.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Take the top off and see why it's making noise. I bet one or more of the plastic chain guides is worn out or broken.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Salty Dan's old 1000G's cam chain was still in spec for elongation after 80,000 miles. Most likely the chain is fine but you need to snug down the tensioner a smig.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Doesn't your engine have a top gear that the chain runs on? I've seen those wear out on KZs.
          You can try an APE tensioner but to replace the chain I'd split the cases and install a HD chain.
          There's no jockey sprocket on the 1000.
          Cases don't need to be split to change the cam chain. You thread the new chain through using the old one. The new chain comes with a rivet link, identical to the other links in the chain, that needs to be peened over when you install it.
          I'd check the tensioner first, though.

Comment

Are you sure the current tensioner is working and set correctly?

Too many times, the tensioner rod has been locked into place when it was installed. The set screw should be turned out about half a turn to allow the rod to slide by. The set screw is then locked into that position with the lock nut.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One more for agreement on tightening down the APE tensioner you have, and seeing if that helps. I'd get my hands on a mechanics stethoscope if you don't have one already. Terribly handy tool for tracking down the odd noise here and there. Plus, it's really neat to listen to the different areas of your engine while it's running. Kinda gives you an aural picture of how everything interacts with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Take the top off and see why it's making noise. I bet one or more of the plastic chain guides is worn out or broken.
                Seconded. In particular, I've seen a few of the little triangular ones at the back that are cracked badly (I think they're prone to overtightening or more probably using bolts which are too long - only a guess but I can't think of another reason why they cracked like the did).
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                X