K&N Pods vs. Vance & Hines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N Pods vs. Vance & Hines

Are the V&H pods simply re-branded K&N, or different/better/worse?

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
    Are the V&H pods simply re-branded K&N, or different/better/worse?
    I'm guessing they're the same. Or very close knockoffs. I just picked up a set of the APE KN knockoffs and they're every bit the same. And $100 cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I'm guessing they're the same. Or very close knockoffs. I just picked up a set of the APE KN knockoffs and they're every bit the same. And $100 cheaper.
      Hey Josh
      Take a look in those APE filters. Do you see any filters? They are for racing and not filtering.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

They do look similar in the website pics, but if they (APE) do not have an oiled element, they aren't the same.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

K&N's can be cleaned and oiled.
          all the others can not.
          these are not the same filters....
          re-branded or other wise.

Comment

hahaha
            also,
            the K&N knock off's...APE ect..
            take a look and you will see.
            the look a likes have a wide automotive clamp and are not molded for the clamp to ride.
            the K&N's have a narrow clamp and ride in a molded area.
            **DO NOT OIL THE KNOCK OFFS**

Comment

ehh I oiled and washed the look alikes. No problems. They are made out of the exact same material, minus the "moulded rubber clamp area" Both use a heavy gauze material inside the screens which is what you oil. Im not arguing with you, im just saying that I have both KN and APE in my hand and there is no visible difference in the materials they used..

Comment

ummm,
                not to be oiled or washed as per the manufacture

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  ummm,
                  not to be oiled or washed as per the manufacture
                  Hrmm, doesnt say that anywhere on the package they send em in. Then again, doesnt say they should be either. I looked at the filters very closely, they appear in every way to be made out of the same material, including the simple gauze (thats pretty much all the KN pods use inside of them to make them 'washable" its gauze, surrounded by a screen) The EMGO pieces of junk have NOTHING in them. Tell ya what, here in a couple thousand miles, I will let y'all know whether or not you should oil or wash them. If they fall apart afterwards, my bad..

Comment

ok grasshoppa
                    ride your bike with and without your filters and see if you can tell a seat of the pants difference.
                    i never oil K&N's but thats me.
                    you might feel a little more ooooomph with your filters off.
                    DO IT!!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      ok grasshoppa
                      ride your bike with and without your filters and see if you can tell a seat of the pants difference.
                      i never oil K&N's but thats me.
                      you might feel a little more ooooomph with your filters off.
                      DO IT!!
                      What you think i hosed them down with a gallon of oil? You just barely oil them my friend.. Keeps them from being destroyed..that gauze, left untreated will rot. Then you got nothing and BTW I ran the bike with no filters, and with filters...Difference? Probably, but im not trying to shave .00002 seconds off my trap time Terry my friend. Im trying to keep my bike clean AND fast

Comment

What you think i hosed them down with a gallon of oil? You just barely oil them my friend.. Keeps them from being destroyed..that gauze, left untreated will rot. Then you got nothing and BTW I ran the bike with no filters, and with filters...Difference? Probably, but im not trying to shave .00002 seconds off my trap time Terry my friend. Im trying to keep my bike clean AND fast
                        your no fun
                        FYI.
                        ive had non oiled K&N's a dozen years old...rot isn't a problem at least with the K&N surgical/NASA/NASCAR/medical super high quality K&N gauze
                        LOL

Comment

Ya dont oil em to add life ya oil em to help trap dirt.

I've never oiled mine either, lol..
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            Ya dont oil em to add life ya oil em to help trap dirt.

I've never oiled mine either, lol..
                            Me thinks you gents need to re read your super top secret high profile ultra sensitive extra special K$N filter charger recharge kit instructions again fellas. The cleaner cleans the oil while it may prevent tiny bits of dust from entering keeps the gauze in good shape. The gauze keeps dirt out. What's cause made out of? Cotton. What does cotton do left in the elements unprotected? It rots. Don't believe me? Take one of your undershirts and bury it in the yard for a few weeks. See what it looks like when you dig it up. The KN directions plainly state that they are guaranteed for life provided they are properly cleaned AND oiled as per manufacturers directions. Why do you think that is?

Now I'm not going to continue to argue whether or not the APE brand should or shouldn't be oiled. I'm not a forensic fiber speciallist nor a textile manufacturer so I can't definitively say that the gauze material in the APE filters are the same as used in KN filters. But, I can say nowhere on the APE site that I saw, nor on the product packaging did it say NOT to oil them. So, I use my best judgment and common sense and lightly oiled as I would with KN filters. We shall see if I'm wrong. If I am? So be it. I paid $60 for em rather than the $160 for the real KN filter. I could buy three sets and still nearly be on par. The one thing I WILL say I dislike about the APE is the lack of a lip to help retain the clamps. The fit tight on 1150 carbs and if you tighten them too tight they pop right off the carb. Keep tht in mind. Otherwise thus far I'm pretty impressed with the quality of construction. From my perspective other than that they seem every bit as nice as the K&N brand.

Comment

Hrmm, doesnt say that anywhere on the package they send em in. Then again, doesnt say they should be either.
                              The K&Ns come pre-oiled (pink) from the factory, and the maintenance instructions cover routine cleaning & oiling. If the APE ones came un-oiled from the factory, and no recommendation/instructions re. oiling, it may be intended to run dry....according to K&N the oil helps filtering efficiency. Bottom line....if you have oiled them and they work for you, that's all that counts!
                              Tony.
                              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X