Front Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brakes

I have a 81 gs750 and i'm having a problem with the front brakes locking up. Now I thought it was the brake hoses so I replaced them, and that didnt fix it so I redid both front calipers.. and that didnt fix it either. All the slides are greased and moving freely. my question is... is the an adjustment for the handle that Im missing and maybe thats whats causeing my problem? thanks for the help

There is a small fluid return port in the master cylinder. If the fluid can't return there it doesn't release the calipers. I'd rebuild and clean it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazzman25 View Post
      I have a 81 gs750 and i'm having a problem with the front brakes locking up. Now I thought it was the brake hoses so I replaced them, and that didnt fix it so I redid both front calipers.. and that didnt fix it either. All the slides are greased and moving freely. my question is... is the an adjustment for the handle that Im missing and maybe thats whats causeing my problem? thanks for the help
      Welcome !!!

We need a few more specifics......You replaced the front brakes..how ?? with what ?? Also, you redid the front calipers....how ?? Did you rebuild them with new pistons and seals or just try to clean them ??.........

When do they lock up ? When you apply the brake or just riding around ??
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

yea sorry I replace the front hoses all three of them, and as far as the calipers I replaced the seals and I cleaned them... the pistons looked good so I didnt think they needed to be replaced.. I will check that port when I get a chance thanks for that idea.

Comment

That is usually the problem, the return port is tiny and is easily blocked by particles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks alot guys I'm new to this bike just really got it and trying to get everything right on it.... i must have just over looked that when I replaced the master cylinder resivor. ill give that a shot... thanks again

Comment

When you have the master off, it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild it with some new plunger and seals. +- $25 from your favorite parts supplier.

My GK front brakes were just giving me fits after I rebuilt them. I handed my "mistake" to Dr. bwringer. He took it home and cleaned the bore extremely well, I guess I had left some residule....jelly type junk in there.

We're putting it back on tonight and try bleeding the front....again. Keep your fingers crossed.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

With the return hole blocked there is usually no slack in the lever. I will do ok until the break fluid heats up, then it locks. It doesn't take much to block that little hole. you should have at least 1/4" play in the lever before you start feeling resistance. If there is none get off the bike until it's fixed.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

yea i havent been riding it... Ive been trying to figure out this problem and hopefully this works and ill be able to start riding again this week. thanks again guys and good luck on ur brakes

Comment

Make sure you tell us what you find in there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Tazzman25,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum and say "HOooooowwDY!!" ...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

For fun, wire your lever down while you are picking at the return hole. Once it lets go you will have to figure out how to get it off the ceiling!

-ask me how I know.

Seriously, though, a needle or microdrill, or an old bit of steel wire, work well for clearing it. It will take some time though. Be patient and keep poking at it. The thing you're trying to avoid is enlarging the hole any more than you absolutely have to.
                        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Well thanks for all the replies it help a bunch... I pulled it apart last night and as youve all described the return hole was clogged slam up. so I ran a thin piece of wire through it and now my brakes work wonderfully. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X