Stator noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator noise

I just installed a new stator on my bike and i have everything hooked up correctly. when i drive the bike i hear a whining sound whenever i accelerate. is this normal? the last stator i had was bad and it wouldn't charge my battery which is the reason why i changed it. i have a 1982 GS 550L

Did you put the idler gear back in correctly?

Washer, gear, washer?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Stators don't make a sound
      Big T may be on to something. If you don't install the starter gear properly the starter will spin with the motor.
      This is bad
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

don't pull off stator cover yet..

pull out your starter motor and re-seat it. Bolt it back down, try to crank her (won't start as carbs will be pulled out/up (atleast they have to be on my 650 to access the starter motor...if same sound once running you probably ought to pull stator cover off for a look...

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. wjliic,

Is the stator properly seated in the cover? It's not rubbing against the rotor? I hope not. Is the stator wire properly seated under the wire cover? It's the narrow plate being held by the screw at the bottom of the picture...

I see you're new here. Welcome! Let me say "HOooooowwDY!"...

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X