open exhaust on gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open exhaust on gs750

Anybody have any opinions on open exhaust as far as performance loss? I bought my 82 gs750 not running, dipped the carbs. I cut the exhaust off before I ran it much. Seems like it's loading up. I would have thought it would lean out if anything.

As for your "loading up", ... do you have anything on the intake of the carbs?

If you don't have anything attached to the intakes in the way of a filter, it will be hard to get any response out of the carbs.

Now, as far as "performance loss" with the cut pipes, ... well, let's just say you certainly did not gain anything and yes, you might have lost some.

Did you have a good reason for cutting the pipes or did you just want to irritate the neighbors?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

still have the stock airbox and stock paper filter. The bike had been sittinf for years, somehow there was a large aount of acorns in the outer baffle section. I mostly notice it when you level out, then get back in the throttle. Kinda acts like it has to "clear it's throat" before it opens up.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. dcil,

It's usually best to get the machine running correctly in stock form before modifying. That way you have a baseline to judge performance. Now perhaps you'll have to do some plug chops to check your fuel/air mixture at different throttle positions. See the information on my website to get you started.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and the info. I'm building a custom out of my 750. Not sure whether to call it a bobber or street fighter. It's a little of both. The exhaust was full of acorns, not sure if from animals or kids. I have ordered some Harley baffles and am putting straight pipes on. Hopefully that will bring back a little back pressure and maybe quiten it down bit. Will try to get some pics up soon.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dcil View Post
              Anybody have any opinions on open exhaust as far as performance loss? I bought my 82 gs750 not running, dipped the carbs. I cut the exhaust off before I ran it much. Seems like it's loading up. I would have thought it would lean out if anything.
              You will have INCREASED POWER with a DECREASED Fuel n.

That goofy inlet system for the crappy cv carb to work properly on a vacuum induction system on a 4-stroke engine is wot robs your power.

Secure those pipes or vibration will break them off where you like to work.

Comment

Hi Mr. dcil,

Your bike looks good. Nice work so far. I see what you mean about the "fighter/bobber" look. It's unique. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

just ordered a set of old harley repro bullet lights. gonna replace my rear turns with them and use a 5 to 3 wire trailer light converter so I can use them as brake lights too. Or at least thats the theory lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X