Pretty pics of nasty rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty pics of nasty rotor?

This cant be good. Can anyone explain what might be causing this?

Looks like a high spot Colin - if you can get the front end off the ground and put a DTI onto the disc you'll soon tell.
    In my experience it's rarely the disc which is out if it's a floater - more often it's the aluminium carrier has had a knock and is forcing the disc over. It is usually possible to straighten the carrier.
    Feeling any pulsing from the front brake ?

Greg T

Comment

Some pads are easier on the disks than others...

Comment

Croc, is it just the one mount that is like that, or are all the mount points out of alignment around the disc? I just checked mine and the gap is a lot closer than in your example. If they are all off set like that, you may have cracked the disc through one of the radial slots. Does the disc feel loose on the mounts?

What Greg has said may also be the cause, especially it it's only one or two mounts that are affected.
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thanks guys What's a DTI? Yeah I'm feeling pulsing. The brake lever feels firm but wooden and when squeezed as hard as you can it doesn't appreciably increase the rate of braking. Have yet to fit my braided lines. Dunno what the pads are made of.. wood I suspect. (Note to self.. replace pads and brake lines ya lazy SOB)

The mounts are all out a bit on both discs but that is probably the worst one (they differ quite a bit). The gaps and misalignment also changes as the wheel is rotated.

I'm still waiting for a pair of rotors with carriers and a set of clutch plates and springs coming from Canada. Takes a loooooooooooooooooong time man.

Comment

Riding through pot-holes filled with water in city limits will warp your disc.

Comment

DTI = dial gauge. I usually drop the caliper on the affected side and use the caliper mount to hang a piece of steel plate as a mount for the magnetic base.
              Slowly rotating the wheel will show up how true your disc is. By running the DTI on both the carrier and the disc you will see whether it's the carrier bent and holding the relatively flexible disc out of true.
              If you've got new discs coming the whole exercise is academic anyway but it is surprisingly easy to true the carriers up in position - heavy mallet and block of wood used carefully while referring to the DTI frequently.

Canadian Post - we've got a set of CR's coming which so far have been in transit over 8 weeks.....

Greg T

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                DTI = dial gauge. I usually drop the caliper on the affected side and use the caliper mount to hang a piece of steel plate as a mount for the magnetic base.
                Slowly rotating the wheel will show up how true your disc is. By running the DTI on both the carrier and the disc you will see whether it's the carrier bent and holding the relatively flexible disc out of true.
                If you've got new discs coming the whole exercise is academic anyway but it is surprisingly easy to true the carriers up in position - heavy mallet and block of wood used carefully while referring to the DTI frequently.

Canadian Post - we've got a set of CR's coming which so far have been in transit over 8 weeks.....

Greg T
                Don't fret guys, I bought a Canadian Instrument Cluster for my 1150 last year. It took 3 months to arrive. The supplier was adamant that he had dispatched it as promised. I was considering lodging a claim with PayPal, when it arrived.
                There is no tracking system provided by CP outside of Canada.
                The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Canadian Post

Originally posted by GregT View Post

Greg T
                  Originally posted by 49er View Post
                  Don't fret guys, I bought a Canadian Instrument Cluster for my 1150 last year. It took 3 months to arrive. The supplier was adamant that he had dispatched it as promised. I was considering lodging a claim with PayPal, when it arrived.
                  There is no tracking system provided by CP outside of Canada.
                  LMAO Yeah it takes a month or more before it even leaves Canada. They must still be delivering mail by horseback.

My first Canadian goodies also took about 10 weeks.

My second lot still hadn't arrived after 12 weeks so another lot was dispatched and has now been about 5 or 6 weeks
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2010, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X