How to "Shim the needle" in my carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to "Shim the needle" in my carbs?

I have a slight issue, and did a search. I found that 'shimming the needle' may help my mid-range hesitation. I could not find any tutorial or description on how to do this. Anyone have a thread handy that describes this, or a tutorial that I missed?

Thanks.

Hi,

Shimming The Needle

Some needles have grooves where you can place the "e" clip. If not, use the above procedure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Not sure if there is a pictorial on BassCliff's site or not, but there is so much worthwhile stuff there you need to read anyway, it's worth going there to take a look. I'll wait for you to get back.

OK, now that you're back, not sure if you will have to remove the carbs on your particular bike, but remove the tops of the carbs. You might be able to just remove the four screws that hold the 'dome' on the top of the carb and lift it off. There is a soft rubber diaphragm right under it with a light-weight spring between it and the cap. Gently remove the diapragm, lift it out of the carb. Look down the center slide, you will see a circlip at the bottom. It takes a very long pair of needle-nose pliers (Sears, $10) or a good set of circlip pliers to remove it. Pull the nylon stem out of the slide, noting its orientation. When the stem is out, you will be able to remove the jet needle. There should be a thick nylon spacer at the top of the needle, then a circlip, then a metal washer, then a spring. The needle position is determined by the thickness of the spacer above it, so go to Radio Shack and get their bag of assorted washers (about $2). The smallest ones work perfectly. Stack up the washers to see how many it takes to equal the thickness of the nylon spacer (usually about 4). Cut that in half, put them on in place of the nylon spacer, put everything back together. When you put the diaphragms back in place, note that there is a tab on one side of the edge, it fits into a shaped area on top of the carb. Snug everything back into place, it should be good to go.

See what happens when I type a long answer and BassCliff merely gives you a link?
      Then we post at the same time?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        See what happens when I type a long answer and BassCliff merely gives you a link?
        Then we post at the same time?
        But then we wouldn't get the pleasure of your personality!

I'm just too lazy to type all that, which is why I have saved the information for future reference.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            I'm just too lazy to type all that, ...
            Yeah, right.

I have seen that picture of your typing hands.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One note I will add based on experience: MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE the washers you choose to use FIT ALL THE WAY DOWN IN THE NEEDLE BORE and do not hang up anywhere... I made this mistake on a bike i did this on and it took me forever to figure out why one of my carbs was wayyyy richer on the needle than the others... the washer i used hung up in the bore, allowing the needle to come up much farther than it should and therefore making my needle circuit very very rich...

Comment

Sears has these pliars and you can shim your needles without taking the carbs off the bike. # 45661, while you are there pick up some stainless allen heads. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Stainless

Last edited by twr1776; 03-31-2010, 08:01 PM. Reason: Doh, spelling
                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Working...
                X