Still lean in two carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still lean in two carbs.

Got my pilots and mains to give me the right color plugs on the #1 and #2 cylinders but the #3 and #4 are still lean. I have the air screws backed out to almost 6 turns on the lean carbs but the other two are set fine at 1.5 turns from bottom. I'm thinking of looking again at the float height but what about the fuel line that hits the #1 and #2 carbs first. Would instaling a T and making the second line hit #3 and #4 at the same time help?

The fuel line should come in between 2 and 3, there is a tube through the 2 and 3 carbs to feed 1 and 4.
    You have something different going on?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

6 turns out is way too many turns. I would drop the float bowl and make sure you've got gas coming out when you move the floats. Gas should pour out, any less and something is clogged. You could have some crud in there or in the tube feeding gas to those carbs.

Comment

If you are feeding gas into the T between 1&2, you are feeding it into the VENT, not the gas inlet.

As mentioned, the fuel inlet is between 2&3, the Ts between 1&2 and 3&4 are VENTS.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Soory.

Soory.

The tube is between 2 and 3. I'll check for fuel flow as you stated but I was wondering if spliting the line above the carbs and directing it between 1,2 and 3,4 would be a better system. other than that the only thing else I might try is going up one size on the mains in 3 and 4. I will make sure that my float height is correct before I resort to that. I have seen set ups where the fuel height is measured in the carbs on the bike with clear tubing hooked up to the bottom of the bowls. I hope I don't have to resort to that but what ever it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
            Soory.

The tube is between 2 and 3. I'll check for fuel flow as you stated but I was wondering if spliting the line above the carbs and directing it between 1,2 and 3,4 would be a better system. ...
            Apparently you missed something in the post above,
            DO NOT SPLIT THE FUEL INTO THE VENT HOSES.

The ONLY fuel inlet is the one between carbs 2&3. To direct fuel to any other port is WRONG.

Check to see if you have any fuel in 3&4 by pulling the drain screw. If there is no fuel, check to see if the float valve is working properly. Have you taken the carbs apart and cleaned them yet? The filter screen on the inlet to those carbs might be clogged, restricing fuel flow. If the filters are not clogged, make sure the float height is correct. DO NOT change the main jets on those two carbs, they are not the problem.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I'm not sure, but i don't think he's talking about running fuel into the vents... It seems like he means he wants to put t connectors on the fuel passages between 1&2, and 3&4. instead of just running one fuel line to the t between 2&3 and letting it run through those carbs to 1&4, he would run two lines from the tank into two separate t connectors, one b/t 1&2 and another b/t 3&4.... it might get fuel to the all the carbs, it might not....

Either way, DON'T DO IT!!! If your carbs are not flowing fuel properly, it is because SOMETHING IS WRONG. something is clogged or not working properly. could be the float height or the float valves not functioning, could be a clogged fuel passage.... whatever it is, fix the problem instead of trying to rig something up. Take your carbs off the bike, disassemble them and give them a thorough cleaning (full dip for each carb and parts). Ensure that all the passages are clear and set your float height. Make sure the float valves are working. reassemble, reinstall, sync the carbs then set your air/fuel mixture. Replace any parts that are not working properly, even if it's any entire carb body. (there's probably several good ones floating around between the members of this forum).

Comment

Originally posted by sam78gs750 View Post
                It seems like he means he wants to put t connectors on the fuel passages between 1&2, and 3&4. instead of just running one fuel line to the t between 2&3 and letting it run through those carbs to 1&4, he would run two lines from the tank into two separate t connectors, one b/t 1&2 and another b/t 3&4....
                Yeah, I guess that might be what he means, but he would have to find another T and then find a couple of plugs to block off the inner ports of 2&3 where the current T is.

For all the time and effort of cobbling up a Band-Aid, he could fix it RIGHT, instead.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  For all the time and effort of cobbling up a Band-Aid, he could fix it RIGHT, instead.

Agreed.... It would be a lot less complicated to just tear 'em down and fix what's wrong

Comment

Are these stock carbs on the 1100? What mods do you have?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thats what I meant.

I was talking about adding t's and lines as stated but the lines probably are not the problem. Fixing something that aint broke would probably only add to my woes.

The carbs are not moded but I do have a K&N filter with top removed on the air box. I have a vance&hines pipe on the bike and have gone up on the mains + pilots. the Needles are also shimed up.

The problem wierd as I would expect the center carbs to behave diferently before the right two.

The bike is runing quite nice but I'd like to get all the plugs reading the same.

Comment

Did anybody else notice this?
                        Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
                        The carbs are not moded but I ... have gone up on the mains + pilots. the Needles are also shimed up. ...
                        You say the carbs are NOT modded, then list the mods you have done.

Please make up my mind for me.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

So you have 50 pilot jets and 130 main jets?
                          I'd pump the mains up to at least 135.
                          Idle will not really color the plugs that much. This is mostly on the needle since that's what you ride on most of the time. I'd take another washer off the needles.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I wouldn't change anything until I found out why two of them are different from the other two.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Re-jetting isn't modifying is it? Anyways I'm on 47.5 pilots as the 50's were way to rich and 120's for the mains. The 50's were sooting up the plugs and the 45's had them bleech white plus that anoying poping all time. I dipped the carbs for two days and blew them out with compressed air but 30 years of varnish may need another treatment perhaps. For now I think I'll just fiddle with the needles or mains so I can ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X