GS 750 E Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750 E Fork Seals

My '82 Gs 750 E started leaking oil out of one of the front fork seals. This bike has the anti dive system tied into the brakes. How hard is it to replace the seals? Should I just take it in? What happens if I do nothing?

If you do nothing you end up getting oil everywhere and you lose the damping on your suspension; it needs doing.

It's a mild PITA job but easily doable if you have even basic skills.

Here's the tutorial on how to do the job:

Your forks are a bit different. Once you've undone the allen bolt at the bottom your tubes won't just pull out - this is an advantage here (helps you get the old seal out). You use the tube as a slide hammer to pull out the old seal (remove the circlip first). On reassembly you put the tube in the fork bottom first, replace the allen bolt and slide the new seal down over the tube in to the lower. Use grease to help the new seal slide in to position and you may need to tap in to position with a bit of suitable diameter plastic water pipe.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

IS there anything I need to know about the anti dive attachments to the forks???

Comment

Originally posted by atlasheating View Post
        IS there anything I need to know about the anti dive attachments to the forks???
        Not really. The only thing is you have to bleed them with the brakes which adds a bit of time to the job.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X