Exhaust hole fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust hole fix

What are riders experiences with using JB-Weld for fixing exhaust holes? I have a fairly good sized hole back around the underside baffle area that doesn't get that hot. Will a JB Weld product hold up? Thanks in advance.

Worth a go. If you can weld, welding will be better. If it's hidden you could pop rivet a plate on as well (or if it's not hidden and you're not to worried about the finish).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Permatex makes a putty for patching mufflers that would probably withstand the heat better than JB weld. It's sold at most auto parts stores.

Comment

permatex paired with a piece of aluminum? I know permatex has many products, which in particular? Thanks.

Comment

thanks guys, my plan was to use a thin aluminum laminate with either JB weld or permatex. Thoughts?

Comment

It'll last for a good while. Worst case is that you have to re-do the repair every few months, so give it a go until you find an exhaust.

As long as it's not used structurally or on a piece than bends, the JB weld will last a long time, and will withstand the heat just fine as long as it's not used on the headers near the engine. Make sure you use regular JB Weld, and not the JB Quik -- IIRC, the regular stuff resists heat better.

The exhaust putty is very brittle and crumbly, and is simply not strong enough to be useful. It will withstand extreme heat, but the part of the exhaust you describe doesn't get that hot.

As a former penniless college student, I know all about the ways to patch exhaust pipes...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Exhaust hole fix

I just used silicon and a piece of metal sheet. if its on the pipe wack a hose clamp around it

Comment

Working...
              X