Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike will not fire at all!!! can you help me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike will not fire at all!!! can you help me???

Ok here is the low down>>> I just purchased a 81 750e very clean runs great starts easy.
    But I just did a few things to it recently,shocks,bars brakes,exhaust, etc... I have not started it since I got it home and put all the stuff on it until yesterday and nothing. It did not start at all. Nothing from the start button. I checked all the wiring, connections,the clutch was in and the start button was on, battery was charged and still nothing??? It seems electrical but not sure everything is in great shape, I checked the starter relay and thought it was bad so I replaced it and still nothing it does nothing at all, All the lights come on I checked the clutch, ignition connections, everything that I know to check? I am lost on what to do next very weird as it was fine when I got it. If the battery turns all the lights on can it still be bad enough not to turn the bike over???
    Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2010, 10:21 PM.

Just be sure the start switch is in proper position,clutch lever pulled in, seems simple but believe me it happens,,,,ask me how.....lol

Comment

Since the bike was running fine, and you changed the handlebars, I suspect something may have happened to the Run/Off switch during the change.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        Since the bike was running fine, and you changed the handlebars, I suspect something may have happened to the Run/Off switch during the change.

I was thinking that I took it apart and looked at it it seemed fine? How can I be for sure that it is?

Comment

Mine did that once and the small wire that runs into the kill switch had broken. Right up next to the switch itself.

Comment

define "fire"

I know it sound elementary, but what do you mean by 'won't fire at all?" Does the starter turn the engine over but the engine won't start? Do you mean you press the starter button and you get nothing from the starter?

To me, "Fire" is when there is spark in the cylinder and it ignites fuel. It sounds like you are tracing an electrical problem; ie: starter will not turn.

If the starter is turning over it's not the starter. If it isn't, it still probably isn't the starter but more likely that it's just not getting electricity. You can check it pretty easily by jumping from the battery to the starter lead off of the solenoid. Just for a moment to see if the starter turns.

Then start tracing wires in the headlight to make sure everything is connected and making contact. You need a wiring diagram and you'll want to start checking continuity through all the switches. (starter button, kill switch, ignition switch)

Comment

Ok thanks! Ya I am not getting any electricity to the starter I guess? I push the button and nothing! I took it apart and looked at it and it seems fine but I do not know for sure. Sure am frustrated with it LOL. It seems electrical

Comment

Originally posted by distinctive View Post
                Ok thanks! Ya I am not getting any electricity to the starter I guess? I push the button and nothing! I took it apart and looked at it and it seems fine but I do not know for sure. Sure am frustrated with it LOL. It seems electrical
                Dude, I have the SAME problem on my 82 650!!!

It's just completely random, I hit the switch...NOTHING, then I hit it again, Fires up.

The trick for my bike is, I just turn the Kill Switch Off, turn the Key to Off, then flip the Key On, then Off, then back On, then I turn the Kill Switch On, and it usually starts up........if it doesn't start up, I just keep repeating the process, it always starts after a couple tries.......and sometimes the Starter button works every time, but some days, I just have problems with it, but I can always get it to start within atleast 30 seconds to 1 minute.......weird?

I've cleaned out the Starter Button mechanism/area inside, and found spider webs all over the place, but the problem still happens, I checked a buncha of the wiring and found some corroded ones, replaced them and I Still have the problem.

Oh well, as long as it starts, im okay for now.
                Worst case scenario, I have to Clutch Dump it, , never fun, but it works!

Comment

Bypass the clutch safety switch. Get a multimeter and get busy. Even a test light works for checking for incomplete circuits.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by distinctive View Post
                    OK...your problem is really pretty simple. You just have to go about it in a methodical way. Start with the connections at the battery and the start solenoid. Make sure they are clean and free of corrosion. I use a spray called MechanicAll...I found it at Frye's electronics and it's the best I have found for cleaning connections. There are other corrosion disolvers out there that will work, but I've never found a CONTACT CLEANER that would eat the corrosion. The contact cleaner stuff I got at Radio Shack was no better than spraying air on the contacts.

Then you're going to have to clean the contacts on the clutch lever, the kill switch and the starter button. You probably need to clean them anyway so now's a good time to do it. Be very careful taking these things apart and only do it over a clean, solid surface. You will drop tiny parts and never find them again. It's been suggested to put the entire assembly inside a ziploc bag before you take it apart...this may help if you are prone to dropping things. The good news is those little parts are still available from Suzuki and any parts vendor.

A note about the clutch lever. The contact is very simple; like the brake light, you have two little metal contacts and when you pull the lever a slide drags over these contacts...but the spring that holds the u-shaped contact often rusts and will no longer be 'springy' so it doesn't hold everything together. New ones are available if you need to replace it. But i have been successful in just cleaning the rust off of them. Also, people don't like that clutch safety switch so it's often disabled. (if your bike even had one in the first place) If it's disabled you will need to find where it was disconnected and make sure those wires are still connected. That will take some 'off the diagram' investigation.

Thoughly clean all the contacts and even brush the metal contact off with some steel wool. If that doesn't work then trace the connections for all those switches you just cleaned off and make sure they are clean, free of corrosion, and tight. That should solve your problem.

It's time consuming but very necessary. Once you do it you shouldn't have any trouble with them again for years. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

The trick for my bike is, I just turn the Kill Switch Off, turn the Key to Off, then flip the Key On, then Off, then back On, then I turn the Kill Switch On, and it usually starts up........if it doesn't start up, I just keep repeating the process, it always starts after a couple tries.......and sometimes the Starter button works every time, but some days, I just have problems with it, but I can always get it to start within atleast 30 seconds to 1 minute.......weird?

!
                      If that doesn't work turn around three times clockwise, spit in the air, clap your hands twice and push the button again.
                      Or just learn how to use a multimeter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X