Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank leaking

Hi all,
    I hope this has not been asked before but I have been searching the site before finally posting here...so sorry if I am repeating a question asked already.

I have an 80 GS1100E that when I fill the fuel tank it leaks around the tail of the tank near the seat. I have replaced my petcock an at first thought it was coming from there. If my tank is only a quarter full it does not leak.

When I look in the tank and looked at the bottom of the tank when I replaced the petcock I did not notice any rust or anything like that so I am kinda lost. Could it be leaking from the fuel gauge sending unit?

Thanks for any help!

B

Perhaps you should remove the tank and place it on work table etc, dry off the suspect areas and sprinkle some baby powder on those areas. Then fill it up with gas to the level at which you suspect it begins leaking and watch for signs of weeping
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

It's likely around the tank seam. Do a search on tank re-sealing it's been covered extensively. Its also a common problem and relatively easily fixed.

Good luck with it.
      Spyug

Comment

Thanks guys! I am looking at a thread that has a lot of info...now Por-15 or Caswell....I just don't want to trash the paint.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X