engine sprocket woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine sprocket woes

As I pulled into a local store, I pulled the clutch lever in and felt a pulse in the lever for each grind and scrape that was coming from the gear selecter area of the bike.

Managed to get bike into neutral. But clutch lever would not pull in.

When I got it home and pulled the cover this is what I did not find.

A nut or lock washer to hold the engine sprocket on.

And what I did find was the clutch adjustment mechanism bent and ground.

First, the outer upper edge of the sprocket is ground down a bit, would you replace it?

Second, would you try to straighten the clutch adjustment mechanism or replace it?

Third, how could I lose the sprocket nut?
    1980 GS550L

That sprocket looks very worn going by the "hooked" teeth.

I'd replace chain and sprockets, since the front sprockets that worn.

Obviously get a new nut and lock washer and your going to need a new clutch cable too as that ones starting to fray.

I'd try straightening the clutch adjustment first and see how it goes before replacing it - looks like the sprocket and chain slid across and gouged it a bit.

Reckon you were lucky it happened when going slow.
    1979 GS750E

Comment

I think you can salvage the clutch actuator. The cable, chain, sprockets and nut is a different story.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I am glad it happened as I was slowing down!

I do not quite understand the need to replace the chain?

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get an economical one?
        1980 GS550L

Comment

the sprocket is very badly worn, which probably means the chain is too. it is very bad practice to fit a new sprocket with an old chain and vice versa. you should replace the chain and sprockets as a set
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
            Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I am glad it happened as I was slowing down!

I do not quite understand the need to replace the chain?

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get an economical one?
            Chains stretch over time, and the o-rings that hold all the grease against the side plates eventually fail. Both sprockets and the chain should be replaced at the same time, so they wear together. A worn sprocket will wear out a new chain faster than if you replace everything at the same time. All three items (front sprocket, rear sprocket, chain) are wear items, meaning that they are designed to wear out over time, and need to be replaced periodically, like brakes and engine oil. If you don't, it'll eventually uninstall itself, probably at speed, and there's a good chance of the loose chain locking the rear wheel.

That chain's got some nice crud built up on the side plates, how often are you cleaning and lubricating your chain? And what are you using to clean and lube it with? My old chain looked like that, and it was a HUGE difference when I installed a new one.

Comment

chain cleaning

I do clean it but not as often as I should.

I do not remember the brand of lube but it was bought in a motorcycle shop (not at hom to check)

Appreciate the great explanation on chain wear.
              1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
                Third, how could I lose the sprocket nut?
                No one has answered this question.

Comment

Originally posted by argh View Post
                  No one has answered this question.
                  The sprocket nut and lock washer came loose and eventually got lost because the lock washer was not installed properly in the locked position or the PO did not use a locking washer that is splined to the shaft and an edge flattened down against the nut flat.

Comment

Long as you are doing all that a new clutch push rod seal would be money well spent.

Comment

push rod seal?

Why a push rod seal?
                      1980 GS550L

Comment

Working...
                      X