Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I install airbox w/out removing Carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I install airbox w/out removing Carbs?

Hi,I just re-built Carbs on my '82 GS650GL,BUT...I Put the Carbs back on thinking I could Re-install the airbox later.Well,I removed the section where the filter itself goes,'cuz I could not get the section that connects to the carbs and other half (filter side)between the frame and carbs.is there any way to get this thing back in there without taking the carbs off again?(Man,I never had any trouble with my XS1100's in that area)any suggestions? Tips or tricks?I guess you all know the whole set-up is 2 seperate sections..I took the battery box and filter housing out.Can I remove 1 or 2 "rubbers ",then put them back on later?.anyway,Thanks for any help in advance.EoHvac

Probably not.. Some of the GS models werent too bad to get the box in and out, but just about every model ive ever worked on (650 is about the only one ive never worked on..heh) you simply have to take the carbs off to get the front section of the box back in.. and on the 550s and 1100s, is a bloody PITA!!!! On some models its almost like they build the bike and then the airbox was an afterthought. I can just picture a little Japanese designer/assembly man standing back after putting the first GS1100E together to admire his work, and looking over at the workbench and seeing the airbox sitting there..DOH!!

Yeah, it sucks, but it must be done..

Comment

Sometimes I think at the factory they first put in the airbox, then the carbs, then the engine, then welded the downtubes onto the frame.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If is the same as my 82 gs750e, then I'd say impossible. Putting the carbs back in with the box in place is extremely tight, plus you've got the filter inlet to contend with.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Sometimes I think at the factory they first put in the airbox, then the carbs, then the engine, then welded the downtubes onto the frame.
          You ever worked on an 83 and up 16v 550 Tom? If you had, you would be CERTAIN that's what they had done.. its pretty much impossible to get the airbox out without completely destroying it. And you can FORGET trying to get the carbs in or out without taking the battery and box and R/R and whatnot out first so you can get that extra 3/4" of room to move the airbox back...

Comment

Working...
          X