Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Electrical Short

Evening all,
    I have a 80' GS1100 with some heavily spliced and taped wiring. Thanks to a previous owner.
    I did have a break light late last year when I purchased it, now I don't. It was stored over the winter and run periodically.
    The circuit in question is the O/G power line from the fuse panel. I've got a partial short to ground. With everything in that line disconnected, including the fuse, I'm reading 45 Ohms to ground. No wires are reversed. The tail light filament is on as normal and the break filament won't light.
    Odd fact, when I connect the indicator lights on the cluster, my resistance to ground goes down. (I'm thinking from the bulbs.)
    Any thoughts as to figure out where my partial short is, without unwrapping the whole harness?

Thanks

You have a bad switch. Either the front or rear.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

But I still get the short to ground, even when I remove the switch from the circuit.

Comment

Hi,

Are you measuring through the regulator unit? I'm thinking that you're measuring to ground through some kind of semi-conductor to get a 45ohm reading. Have you completely traced that wire?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm measuring from the fuse contact on the output side, without the fuse installed, to ground.

Comment

Once a PO starts hacking up a harness anything could be causing the problem.

My suggestion is to get a wiring diagram, a VOM and start tracing the circuit until you find the problem. I know its frustrating but probably the only way to figure out what's happening on your bike.

Comment

I've already done that. The only thing left in the circuit is the wire harness. All of the components and connections have been removed. My next step is to start un-wrapping the wire harness itself... Unless anyone has a better idea.
              Thank you for you attention fellow GS riders.

Comment

Wire it directly to the battery with jumpers. Make sure it's not the socket.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

bypass the harness

I second the idea to use jumpers from th battery to make sure the socket and light are working, but you should also try running seperate wire from the fuses to the light and bypass the harness. If this works then you know you need to replace the wires in the harness if not then you know one of your other parts are bad.

Comment

wire demons?

ya, ive come across some weird wire splices myself,(gs1000,79), looking for my headlight circuit, apparently, i have power to the switch, but not getting to the light, but i can jump the power from another source, and it works, but ive come across some soilder connections ive dug out, just over the engine, in two spots, im not sure if its stock, or has been messed w/?, still have no power to the lamp, or gauge lights, the horn works?

Comment

did you ever find the partial short to ground?? i am very interested i am have the exact same prob with my 81 GS1100

Comment

Getting to it

I should be able to get to it this weekend. Work and kids have been sucking the life out of me this week.

Comment

Working...
                        X