valve cover plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover plugs

Need help!!!! The bike is an 1983 GS850GL. I bought a new gasket and half moon plugs for valve cover from parts n more. After I put it together, started bike,the plugs pushed out.
    1) Have there been any issues with the parts n more products?
    2) How much oil is supposed to be in the valve cover cavity? It almost seems as though the plugs are being pushed out by the oil.
    Upon assembly (Twice) Three Bond 1194 was used once and Gaskacinch the second time.
    3) Am I using the correct adhesive for the job??

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. It's 80 degrees here tomorrow and Id like to go for a ride.

Thanks,
    jaybird

Hi,

Check to make sure your breather system is not plugged. Sometimes the inlet at the top of the airbox can get plugged with crud. This can cause excess pressure inside the engine. It's normal to have the valve shims pretty much covered in oil.

I use a very thin coat of gasket sealer on the curved part of the half-moons, but not on the top because I don't want it to stick to my Real Gasket.

Many owners will install the plugs "inside out", with the edge of the half-moons on the inside of the engine. This is OK too, and may even alleviate any noisy cam end float.

If there's anything else you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's lots of GS850 lovin' on my website and tons of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X