Rear Shock Question, '77 Gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Question, '77 Gs550

The price is right, the length is right, the condition is right, but the springs are probably way too soft. Anyone have any insight if the below shocks are 'suitable' for my 1977 gs550?

Ebay Item 350326587484
    Description
    This auction is for a Pair of Redwing KMS330 Motorcycle Shocks
    (I belive these will work well for Honda MB50, MT50, CB100, CB125 S, CB125 T and many other's as well)

These shocks are New Old Stock. Made in Japan by Redwing. They are 13" center to center. I belive this is about 1/2" longer than the stock shocks but they still should work fine. They come with 2 bushings that are 3/8" ID and 2 that are 1/2" ID. Please compare yours to the measurements in the picture. If you get them and they will not work for you we will accept a return; however we can only refund the price of the product. Shipping is non-refundable.

I would say they would be too soft for your bike. The models mentioned are all lightweight single cylinder bikes. Yours is a heavy four cylinder. Your bike could be 100lb heavier than the models mentioned. Not only would the springs be too soft but the internals would not cope with the rigor of a heavier bike.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I would tend to agree, your bike would be too heavy. Get yourself some progressives or if they are out of your budget try some MDI or similar shocks.

Comment

Hi,

Also, the GS bikes use 12mm bushings. The 1/2" bushings would be a smidge too big. But it seems the seller can't spell so maybe he can't measure either.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

them's the thoughts I was looking for. It wouldn't be too hard to get a heavier spring but if the shock internals couldn't cope then the entire idea is no good.

And because redwing is gone I can't find any information on shock models and applications.

As far as just buying some new progressives or ikons, I kind of like searching around. It is equal parts cost containment and equal parts project. Sort of like why I like these older bikes.

Comment

Hrm what about these?

2 NOS Giring Shocks Triumph T120 TR6 Bonneville 105
            Pair NOS Girling shocks.
            Still original paint on the springs.
            Part # 64052529A.
            Distance between mounting holes 12 1/4".

Comment

I have some eye to eye piggyback shocks for Sale... There is an ad in the For Sale parts section.

They'll be up on Ebay soon if nobody here wants them.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I actually took a look at those but many questions abound and I initially thought they were eye to clevis. Send me a pm with price?

Comment

I have the adjustable shocks that came off my 82 gs750e. bike has 4100 miles. needs springs since somene cut them to lower it. free if u pay shipping
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

Also, the GS bikes use 12mm bushings. The 1/2" bushings would be a smidge too big. But it seems the seller can't spell so maybe he can't measure either.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    HAHAHA Cliff I love you man. That was the closest thing to a slam Ive ever seen you type, and it was rather amusing. I know it's not part of your belief system, and thats perfectly OK, but you should do it more often, it's good for the stress level, and, without being nasty at all, it IS a bit good for the soul

Comment

Working...
                    X