Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Coil install problem

Firstly let me say I am having fun... now on to business:

The right side of the pic is forward to the front wheel.

Firstly, I do not know how to mount this coil... the spacers are too short so the bottom of the coil just touches the mounting brackets on each side.

Also, I don't know which high voltage lead goes to which spark plug .

Help!

Left coil to 1&4 spark plugs, right to 2&3. File or grind the frame mounts till the coil clears. It might also help to have the wires pointed to the rear instead of to the front like you have them in the picture. Ray.

Comment

Another stupid question...

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Left coil to 1&4 spark plugs, right to 2&3. File or grind the frame mounts till the coil clears. It might also help to have the wires pointed to the rear instead of to the front like you have them in the picture. Ray.
      Does it matter which lead goes to which plug on each coil? Left coil is 1 and 4... BUT does it matter which lead on the left coil goes to 1 and which goes to 4? From what I understand now when the left coil gets charged it sparks to 1 and 4 at the same time, and when the right coil is charged it sparks 2 and 3 at the same time - is this correct?

Thanks for the advice regarding filing or grinding as well... I'll have to buy dremmel tool or something like that!

Comment

You are correct, the plug pairs fire together, so it will not matter which wire goes to which plug on that coil.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          I mounted mine with the wires pointing down, on my 82 1100E. One thing that I did have a problem with is the clearance between the mounting bolts and the wires powering the coils. The clearance wasn't great enough, and I ended up popping quite a few fuses before I figured this out. Make sure the screw heads on the terminals aren't touching anything metal, like the bolts. A couple of coats of liquid electrical tape worked a treat until I could get everything sorted properly.

Comment

are they upside down and facing the wrong direction?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Excellent observation

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
              I mounted mine with the wires pointing down, on my 82 1100E. One thing that I did have a problem with is the clearance between the mounting bolts and the wires powering the coils. The clearance wasn't great enough, and I ended up popping quite a few fuses before I figured this out. Make sure the screw heads on the terminals aren't touching anything metal, like the bolts. A couple of coats of liquid electrical tape worked a treat until I could get everything sorted properly.
              I would definitely had made that mistake had you not pointed it out!

Comment

only bolting 1 end of each of the coils is very common.

I'd cut all 4 of them tabs off and re weld on different ones at a 90 degree with the proper distance to get them fully secure and tucked up in the frame. The 90 deg.twist is so the wires have more clearance to not arc and short out in the weather.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                X