Not your average Petcock Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not your average Petcock Problem

So I got a new petcock from Z1 for my 1978 GS550. This is one of the last pieces of the puzzle to make the bike road ready and it is driving me crazy.

Here is the problem: the vacuum port on the petcock hits my frame and I cant get a line on it nor would I want to put that much stress on the petcock. The new petcock from Z1 the ports face to the rear of the bike. The original faces into the engine.

My question is can I take the petcock apart and turn the vacuum port to face the front of the bike with out damaging the petcock and still having the petcock work.

I can make the port for the gas line work as there is enough room and it cant be moved.

Thanks for the help you guys have answered all of my questions in the past and that is why I am this close to being on the road. I just hope someone has run into this before.

Here are some pictures they are alittle fuzzy but I hope they help

I have not seen any problems in the past with rotating the vacuum cover on the petcock.

Look carefully, though, to make sure there is not an indexing pin that would prevent that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
      Have you considered rerouting your vacuum line, possibly with a new/longer piece of hose? Vacuum hose is cheap.

You're right about sharp bends. If all else fails, you can add an elbow. These can be found at Advanced Auto.
      this - get a longer hose. i had the same issue, so i just bought some 3/16" vinyl tubing for $1 at lowe's and have a nice compression fit over the vacuum port on both the petcock and carbs.

Comment

Just an update because I have not been near a computer in a few days and thought some of this info would be useful to some one else.

The problem was not that I needed a longer hose. The problem was the pet cock prevented me from placeing the tank on the bike. The vacume port was hitting the frame so the tank would not go on straight.

Just so people know you can take apart the petcock (carefully so that you do not damage the gasket or the diafram) and rotate the vacuum line 180 degrees. The petcock works as it should and the bike is on the road.

After I put 500 or so miles on the bike I plan on writing a review of the GS550 from the perspective of a new rider. Stay tuned....

Thanks again for all of the help

Comment

by any chance do you have a photo?

I have the same exact issue, and you have to kinda "shoehorn" the fitting past the frame, and it ends up damaging the end of the vacuum tube (not to mention puts pressure on the petcock assy altogether). Are you rotating the whole assembly so that now the petcock faces the engine? or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post
            Are you rotating the whole assembly so that now the petcock faces the engine? or am I missing something?
            No, I belive he just removed the 4 screws holding the vacuum nipple plate on & rotated it 180 degrees - the fuel barb is still facing to the rear while the vaccum port is now facing to the front.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
            X