Can't control throttle/RPM ,Redlines???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't control throttle/RPM ,Redlines???

Uh Oh,Carb trouble.I just cleaned my carbs,got airbox on(bike would not start w/out).Now,it starts up.but goes directly to redline.I hafta use kill switch to stop it(or Key).The throttle cable is not hung up.it returns to "normal position,on bars and at carbs .All diaphragms were in really good shape at cleaning.Slides also operated smoothly.I've done CV carbs before.Does this sound like a torn diaphragm?I mean ,Now it fires right up ,but I cant control anything and hafta shut it down before it over revs and blows up.Is a slide stuck?.I just had to walk away from it,so I'll have to appoach inside airbox with an inspection mirror.I just pulled the carbs again,and installed the stock airbox,So I guess it is back to the drawing board.But First,Any Idea on what it could Be?EoHvac PS this is an '82 GS650GL .Sat 9 years in barn.I knew carbs would need overhaul,&boy was i right.actually manufacture date is 11/81

Well, obvious things

Look in the carb throats and see if all the slides are down
    Turn idle adjuster out until it doesn't contact
    Lift each slide with a small screwdriver and see if it snaps back down
    Check the choke action - on/off

I'm a bit confused - you started it 1st without an airbox? Then put the stock airbox on?

Did you do the complete disassembly and dip on the carbs?

The amount of revs you describe is way more than the typical air leak from bad intake boots or such

I think a torn diaphragm would make it rev slower, as that slide wouldn't lift
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Actually, a lifted slide won't make it rev. The slides don't control the engine speed, the butterflies do.
      In fact, if you were to lift all four slides and lock them into place, the bike should still start and idle nicely,
      but will have a very hard time transitioning to anything higher than idle.

I would suspect that the idle control knob is turned in a couple of turns too much.
      If it is turned enough to do a bench sync with a drill bit or other such object, it's open too far for a "normal" idle.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. eohvac,

Make sure there are no air leaks in your air intake system, sealed airbox, new O-rings on the intake boots, no leaks in the boots between the airbox and carbs, new weatherstripping on the airbox covers and on top of the air filter (if applicable), etc.

Here are some things to look at. Your 650 may be a little different, but you get the idea. New weatherstripping here on top of the air filter cage:

And for the side covers...

Air Intake Repair:
        (Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement)

Airbox Sealing
        (by Mr. Roostabunny)

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X