1982 GS650G knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G knock

I just went out today and bought a 1982 GS650G that has 22000 miles on it. The bike has an intermittent knocking sound that seems to be coming from the cylinder head area at idle rpm. The PO said that this has been happening for 3 or 4 years now. Are there there any known issues with this bike? I'm hoping its a minor thing. I drove it home and there is no knocking at all at highway speed. I guess the only thing to do is rear into it and have a look see. Do these bikes have roller bearing cranks like my 1000G?

Originally posted by jhillier449 View Post
    I just went out today and bought a 1982 GS650G that has 22000 miles on it. The bike has an intermittent knocking sound that seems to be coming from the cylinder head area at idle rpm. The PO said that this has been happening for 3 or 4 years now. Are there there any known issues with this bike? I'm hoping its a minor thing. I drove it home and there is no knocking at all at highway speed. I guess the only thing to do is rear into it and have a look see. Do these bikes have roller bearing cranks like my 1000G?
    No the "G" model 650 has slipper bearings. Check for chain contact inside the cylinder head cover. It could be a sloppy cam chain at idle. Maybe chain tensioner problem.

Comment

Could be the "walking camshaft" too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Could be the "walking camshaft" too.
        Hi,

Here's the solution for that if you've got the proper tools and skills.

Camshaft Endfloat Mod(by Mr. 49er)

Or I guess you could turn your half moon seals inside out to try and help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sounds good, I will check for these issues. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X