X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hole in the diaphram, need to replace.

the bike, '82 GS100L, Dynojet stage 1, Vance and Hines 4-1, K&N Filter
    So far I have;

1. Removed carbs, disassembled, cleaned and replaced o-rings. I dipped the carbs over night in Berrymans.
    2. lowered the clip on the needle from the 2nd notch from the top to the 2nd from the bottom. (Had a strong flat spot at about 1/2 throttle)
    3. checked intake boot o-rings, PO replaced.

(bench synched carbs, replaced carbs and airbox and started the engine. running like crap.)

4. Removed K&N air filter, cleaned filter and replaced the cruddy old foam with new foam tape (taped and gorilla glued it on)

Bike still isn't running great. Revs up to like 6k rpm on start up, find broken throttle tube inside right hand housing. inspect other cables and brake lines

5. replaced clutch cable with stock cable (was worn through to the wire on a rub location on the forks)
    6. Replaced throttle cable with a motion pro cable. (the 90 degree elbow coming out of the right hand switch broke, and was allowing play in the throttle cable. The motion pro cable has a metal elbow)
    7. replaced broken throttle tube with an R1 tube.
    8. moved needle clip from 2nd from the bottom to the 3 from the top (per dynojet instructions)

replaced everything. Turned air screws out from 2.5 turns to 3 turns. (turned back to loosely seated and then back out 3 turns)

The bike still has issues and seems to be running rough. (I only ran it for 4 months last year so I'm not 100% sure on how it should run. as it's my first bike to work on)

At about 1/4 throttle it is really rough does pop and crack, put sputters. If I twist the throttle and run up through the RPMs it does fine.

When I moved the needle on the slides last time I noticed what MIGHT be a small pin hole on the number 4 carb diaphram. I just happen to have 2 spare slide assemblys. Now, I know I have to drill out the hole in the slide (not the needle hole), but the dyno jet instructions fail to say what size the drill bit is.

Am I on the right track here? After I replace the slide assembly, I'm going to do plug chops. to check all the circuits.

Any suggestions? I've been trying to piece together bits of info from all over the website.....

Do I use to large drill bit or the small drill bit that was included with the dinojet kit?

Sounds like me a few weeks ago

Hey there Ohioan,

First, turn those air screws back in to lightly seated and turn them out 2 full turns, go back to the stock needles, and for goodness sake, use the SMALLER of the two drill bits that came in the JetKit.

I was able to get all of my low end sputtering( by going to 2 turns out on the air screws) and off idle stumble (going back to stock needles).

Get fresh plugs and put 'em in right after these adjustments and you should see an improvement.

Keep us updated and good luck,

Oh and i believe there is something you can get to repair the pin hold in the slide rubber, someone on the forums knows what it is and where to get it, Hopefully they will chime in to save the day.

Comment

The bike came with two spare slide assemblies when I purchased it last year. So that's not a real big deal. I don't have the stock needles anymore.

I'm not really sure if the needles are or are not stock. Do the stock needles still have the adjustable clip on the bottom?

I had read that the DJ needles were real sharp. I wouldn't consider these sharp. I'd say they're more blunt, with a little point on the end. Anyone have any picture to compare the two? google isn't my friend when it comes to this.

Comment

Stock needles

The stock needles only have one position for the "E" clip. they can be shimmed, but not adjusted like the DJ needles.

I think I have a full set of stockers if ya need 'em. Both my Stock and DJ needles were more blunt than sharp.

Other jet kits I've installed from Factory and DJ had sharper pointed needles, I guess it differs from bike to bike.

Let me know what you think on the needles.

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
          the bike, '82 GS100L, Dynojet stage 1, Vance and Hines 4-1, K&N Filter
          So far I have;

1. Removed carbs, disassembled, cleaned and replaced o-rings. I dipped the carbs over night in Berrymans.
          2. lowered the clip on the needle from the 2nd notch from the top to the 2nd from the bottom. (Had a strong flat spot at about 1/2 throttle)
          3. checked intake boot o-rings, PO replaced.

(bench synched carbs, replaced carbs and airbox and started the engine. running like crap.)

4. Removed K&N air filter, cleaned filter and replaced the cruddy old foam with new foam tape (taped and gorilla glued it on)

Bike still isn't running great. Revs up to like 6k rpm on start up, find broken throttle tube inside right hand housing. inspect other cables and brake lines

5. replaced clutch cable with stock cable (was worn through to the wire on a rub location on the forks)
          6. Replaced throttle cable with a motion pro cable. (the 90 degree elbow coming out of the right hand switch broke, and was allowing play in the throttle cable. The motion pro cable has a metal elbow)
          7. replaced broken throttle tube with an R1 tube.
          8. moved needle clip from 2nd from the bottom to the 3 from the top (per dynojet instructions)

replaced everything. Turned air screws out from 2.5 turns to 3 turns. (turned back to loosely seated and then back out 3 turns)

The bike still has issues and seems to be running rough. (I only ran it for 4 months last year so I'm not 100% sure on how it should run. as it's my first bike to work on)

At about 1/4 throttle it is really rough does pop and crack, put sputters. If I twist the throttle and run up through the RPMs it does fine.

When I moved the needle on the slides last time I noticed what MIGHT be a small pin hole on the number 4 carb diaphram. I just happen to have 2 spare slide assemblys. Now, I know I have to drill out the hole in the slide (not the needle hole), but the dyno jet instructions fail to say what size the drill bit is.

Am I on the right track here? After I replace the slide assembly, I'm going to do plug chops. to check all the circuits.

Any suggestions? I've been trying to piece together bits of info from all over the website.....

Do I use to large drill bit or the small drill bit that was included with the dinojet kit?

Ohioan brother.. you're doing to much shooting and not enough aiming here..

I realize that the stuff you replaced needed replaced (throttle tube etc) but they have no real bearing on the problem. Did you read your DynoJet instructions carefully? With a KN inbox filter, and a free flowing (4-1) exhaust, you'll likely either need the larger of the two smaller sized main jet choices, or the smaller of the two larger main jet choices (im not sure the sizes on your bike) Were it me, *I* would go with the smaller of the "stage 3" mains. and Install the needle and clip as the instructions say. A stage one kit using the first size main is for a pipe only. You've opened up your air flow a bit with the KN filter. Give it a shot. Put the stuff in exactly as the instructions say, and it SHOULD be much better. You'll probably have to toy with the mix screws a bit to get it JUST where you want it, or you may find you have to move the needle clip down (toward the point) a notch. But it should be pretty damn close to begin with..

Comment

oh, I didn't install the DJ kit. It was installed on the bike by a PO. The only thing I've done to the bike is as listed. The carbs needed cleaned. It ran fan last year, other than a flat spot in the 3k-3.5k range (1/4 throttle). All the other stuff was just general maintence.

I'm thinking I just need to play with the mixture screws, because all of the issues seem to be around 0-1/4 throttle. If I twist hard on the throttle it opens right up and runs fine.

it has the 114 mains in it already. everything was installed per dj instructions.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I moved all the innards into a new slide, and drilled out the hole in the slide with the small drill bit provided by DynoJet.

I'll replace it in the carbs tomorrow and we'll see how she runs then!!

Comment

Working...
              X