Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 gs850g

Hello all,

Complete noob here, no experience in performing any maintenance on motorcycles at all. I am a fellow gs owner and am in love with my bike so I would like to learn how to clean her up and keep her healthy.

I know that some will respond with that I should start searching the forums instead of just asking for help. I completely understand where you are coming from, however I am such a noob that I currently do not know where to start. All I ask is some suggestions as where to begin.

Some of my current problems are the battery does not charge while riding. This is quite embarrassing when going to places, expecting your bike to start up and you just putter there in the parking lot
    I am guessing it is the alternator/stator?

Another is when my bike is warming up when I first start it, it sort of coughs, seems like it's not getting the right gas mixture. Does the carbs need to be cleaned? Or should I add some seafoam to fuel to clean out my system a bit?

I am also leaking some oil, the engines not quite clean so I can't tell where the leak is coming from. It's a very slight leak, however, it is enough to ruin my pants while riding so I would definitely like to get that fixed.

Is there a order of things that should be done? Where should I start? I am serious about learning so suggestions of what tools I should purchase to do the job right would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2010, 08:35 AM.

Start here... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. miyagi54,

Welcome to the forum. I see Mr. Nessism has arrived before I.

You'll want to thoroughly clean your engine and perhaps use some spray powder to find the leak. Check for the wet spot. To check the charging system reference the Stator Papers. To clean the carbs reference the Carb Rebuild Series. You'll also want to check and adjust the valve clearances. You'll want to check and clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness, from the headlight bucket to the tail light. You'll want all new fluids, engine oil and filter, new gear oil for the secondary (bevel) gear case and final drive unit, brake fluid, fork oil. Read everything in your "mega-welcome" and get back to us with any questions. You'll find a lot of GS850G lovin' on my site and the 850 is a popular bike here in the forum.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Nessism and BassCliff,

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Looks like my first task would be to put a shopping list together. Any list of must have tools that you could refer me to? I do not have any tools at the moment.

I've attached a couple pics of my bike, I'm thinking of taking the saddle bags and the front fairing off. Try to slim it down a bit, I hate to lose the storage space, but it would be nice to have a smaller silhouette.

I also need to replace the lamps, they are useless at night time, can't see the lanes at all. I'm assuming it's the lamp, but could be the electrical system?

Regarding my busted tach, there's two things I would like to ask. One is there a way to open up the face to take out the broken piece? It's covering up my gas gauge which would be helpful to have. Two, the tach doesn't work at the moment, it did when I first got the bike, do you think that it's possibly just a broken tach cable?

I'll try to compile my shopping list and try and get this project going, O rings, lamps, tools, so that I can do all this testing on the electronics and stuff.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Thats a nice machine you have there. I can see why you are keen on it.

There is a lot of info to absorb right away, don't be intimidated by it - you will eventually know all the lingo and how to do most of the regular maintenance. The nice thing about these machines is that they can go a LOT of miles with just regular upkeep, they aren't temperamental 'thoroughbreds' that need to be fiddled with constantly.
          I think you should address the first thing bugging you: the oil leak. From the pics it seems to be coming from the top area of the engine. Easy enough, as there are really only about 4 different openings - the spot where the tach cable goes in/the valve cover gasket (most likely)/spark plugs (if they're reasonably tight then no problem)/and the engine vent (the hose on the top of the engine that blows oily engine gases back into the airbox to be re-burned). Thats kinda it. If you wash the oil off the engine with a mild degreaser you should be able to figure out where the oil leak is.
          After you've done this, check the fluids (change if necessary). It will take you 3 hours the first time you change fluids, probably 1/2 hour every time afterwards. Just remember that overtightening drain bolts will result in time and $-consuming problems - don't overdo it.
          Go to a hardware store and buy a cheap set of metric wrenches and sockets, a Philips screwdriver, a spark plug socket, and some hand cleaner!
          The battery not charging could simply be a bad battery (you can have it load tested at an auto parts store). If the battery is good, check into the charging system further - there is a pile 'o information on this site, so read on!
          Ask in the 'parts wanted' section for a used tach - I doubt you will have much success disassembling the one you have, and the face is all busted up anyways. I bet a GS'er will have an extra.

If you sort out these (relatively) minor issues and the bike runs fine, you can become an expert in all the fine-tuning and restoration details as you go along later. Enjoy the bike now that the weather is fine!

Comment

Welcome to it, Miyagi54!

I wasn't able to see your pic (might be my connection) but you're in the right place to get the help you'll need.

I put 50mi/day on my '81 850g for the last three years and love it. Used the carb rebuild series and Bass Cliffs and Bwringer's (and others') great pictorial write-ups to make sense of the shop manual, and learned a ton here!

I also agree about the oil leak and spray powder (I used generic athlete's foot spray, seriously). Get some engine degreaser and scrub the thing down first. Then spray the powder, start it up, and stare at it up close from all angles as it runs. Eventually, you'll spot the source. Having a flashlight handy might be good.

Anyway, you'll probably need a carb cleaning and to seal up your airbox to get the mixture sorted, but you'll get to that. Some seafoam in the meantime won't hurt.

Comment

This isn't helping you:

Check your tank for rust also, Clean it out & seal it if need be & lose the fuel filter - the fuel line is gravity fed from the petcock so that 360 loop of extra fuel hose can't be helping...

Unscrew each spark plug cap & trim the lead back about a 1/4", screw the plug caps back on.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Go to a hardware store and buy a cheap set of metric wrenches and sockets, a Philips screwdriver, a spark plug socket, and some hand cleaner!
                Yea, I have just basic tools for the home right now, I think I'll go with what you suggest and pick up a complete set as you suggest from a hardware store.

The battery not charging could simply be a bad battery (you can have it load tested at an auto parts store).
                Unfortunately I don't think it's a battery issue, I purchased a brand new battery from advance auto to try to resolve this issue.

If the battery is good, check into the charging system further - there is a pile 'o information on this site, so read on!
                Some of the test require the tach for proper readings right? Like you have to hold the rpms at a certain rev to get some readings, so it looks like I'll have to tackle that problem first.

Ask in the 'parts wanted' section for a used tach - I doubt you will have much success disassembling the one you have, and the face is all busted up anyways. I bet a GS'er will have an extra.
                Thank you for this advice, I'll definitely give that a try.

If you sort out these (relatively) minor issues and the bike runs fine, you can become an expert in all the fine-tuning and restoration details as you go along later. Enjoy the bike now that the weather is fine!
                The bike does run at the moment, so I have definitely been taking it out and taking advantage of this fine weather. I was actually afraid of that, if I tried to do some maintenance on it now, I might mess up and put my bike out of commission for the season. I think I'll listen to you advice and try to take care of the small minor things that will allow me to enjoy the bike with the nice weather, and tackle the learning afterwards.

Thanks for taking the time to give me all this great advice, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post

Check your tank for rust also, Clean it out & seal it if need be & lose the fuel filter - the fuel line is gravity fed from the petcock so that 360 loop of extra fuel hose can't be helping...

Unscrew each spark plug cap & trim the lead back about a 1/4", screw the plug caps back on.
                  Hey hikermikem, lose the filter completely? And shorten the hose so that it doesn't loop like that?

Comment

Originally posted by miyagi54 View Post
                    Lose the filter completely? And shorten the hose so that it doesn't loop like that?
                    Precisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                      Welcome to it, Miyagi54!

I also agree about the oil leak and spray powder (I used generic athlete's foot spray, seriously). Get some engine degreaser and scrub the thing down first. Then spray the powder, start it up, and stare at it up close from all angles as it runs. Eventually, you'll spot the source. Having a flashlight handy might be good.

Anyway, you'll probably need a carb cleaning and to seal up your airbox to get the mixture sorted, but you'll get to that. Some seafoam in the meantime won't hurt.
                      Thanks for the advice Roostabunny, I'll add the degreaser and spraypowder on my list of things to pick up tomorrow.

Comment

haha, thanks for the quick response cafekid, I'll add that on my list of things to do tomorrow.

Comment

The weakest thing with these bikes, ESPECIALLY from the year, is the charging system. A new stator is very expensive. I owned a GS300L and had the same problem. ALL of your problems will be solved if you replace the rectifier. It is the part that looks like a little heat sync. It is aluminum and has little fins on it. Buy a new one and it will fix everything. To prove that that is the issue. When it coughs like you said, turn on the blinkers when it boggs like that and see if the bogging stops and the motor runs ok. Or, unplug the rectifier and see how she runs. Do not drive the bike without the regulator, those were just tips on diagnosing the problems. like i said, replace the voltage regulator, or rectifier and all of your problems will go away. Try to get an aftermarket one. They will last forever. On my GS300L, i replaced mine 3 or 4 times before i got an aftermarket one and didn't have any more issues. Hope this helps!

Comment

the leak looks like the upper head gasket...

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
                              Try to get an aftermarket one. They will last forever. On my GS300L, i replaced mine 3 or 4 times before i got an aftermarket one and didn't have any more issues. Hope this helps!
                              Any brand in particular you would recommend? I believe I know the component you are talking about. Regarding the leak in the upper head gasket, I'll do as folks have suggested and start cleaning the grease off and isolating where exactly the leak is coming from and take care of that soon.

Thanks Kitten Tooth. I appreciate the input. This site is awesome, I've gotten so much helpful information in under 24 hours. I hope to get started on some of these suggestions this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X