Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pod size

1982 GS550L.

I BELIEVE they are 54mm, but I read on some previous posts that the "common" pods are too long for carb 1 &4, they will hit the frame. Does anyone know where I could find some that might be shorter in length?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
    1982 GS550L.

I BELIEVE they are 54mm, but I read on some previous posts that the "common" pods are too long for carb 1 &4, they will hit the frame. Does anyone know where I could find some that might be shorter in length?

Thanks in advance.
    they will all fit if it is a standard engine with standard carbs in a standard frame. just quote the bike model and year when ordering
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax is right.....if you're buying from someone who knows what they're selling. However, a lot of places sell pods only knowing the carb diameters and you're right that the pods for the 550 have to be a bit on the short side for #s 1 & 4.

You can always measure the gap between the back of the carbs and the frame and let the seller know to be sure.

Plus make sure you get the right diameter - pods to fit VMs are smaller than those that fit the CVs.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Do you know of a seller I can trust with giving them the year? The ones for sale on Z1 enterprises look too long.

Comment

bummmmmmmmp

Comment

Anyone? ...

Comment

fwiw....

i have the 79 550L, which has the VM carbs. I bought the awful emgo pods (before I found out they were crappy)...anyway....carbs 1 and 4 have less clearance, but I found that I could invert the rubber boot that slips over the carb, so the longer end is tucked up into the pod. Thus giving me exactly the clearance I needed.

don't know if that will help at all, but just an idea in case you buy some pods and have trouble fitting 1 and 4.

Comment

Thats a good idea, I may try that!

Comment

mine are the non VM though, so we'll see. I'll buy one, then I wont be out that much $!

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
                    Do you know of a seller I can trust with giving them the year? The ones for sale on Z1 enterprises look too long.
                    why not just call them and ask for the dimensions?
                    i dont know how much difference there is between a 550 and a 1000 but my gs has a good inch at least between my k&n pods and the frame on 1 & 4 carbs.
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      why not just call them and ask for the dimensions?
                      i dont know how much difference there is between a 550 and a 1000 but my gs has a good inch at least between my k&n pods and the frame on 1 & 4 carbs.
                      I did call, and they agreed they would not fit. It's not hard to determine when something wont fit. They said this would work, but they dont carry it:

AJ-USA offers a wide selection of performance and OEM automotive parts for your car, truck, suv, motorcycle or watercraft. In business since 1976 you can trust us to provide you with top service and the lowest available prices!

Hope that helps someone in the same position as me.

Comment

Working...
                      X