Re; R/R - Many GSers are doing the impossible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re; R/R - Many GSers are doing the impossible

I checked on the xj owners site to ask about using a Yamaha XJ750 reg/rect on my 83 GS750ESD.
    I hate to rundown my XJ breathern but an 'expert' on that site said Reg/Rect units are not interchangeable between manufacturers.
    Funnily enough, he's in the business of selling electrical components for bikes and offered to sell me an aftermarket part for the GS750ESD for $160 plus shipping.
    Instead I installed the 7-wire XJ750 reg/rect on my GS750ESD . I spliced the 3 yellow wires to the stator, 1 red to power, 1 black to the battery's negative pole, the remaining brown wire to the brake light and the remaining green wire to ground on the chassis.
    Lo and behold, my GS started and measured 13.5 at idle after measuring 12.56 with the engine off. As an experiment, I rode it around town this afternoon at low speeds and relatively low revs, stopping often for errands, lunch, etc, maybe a dozen times. The bike re-started on each occasion without a hiccup. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    By the way, on the Yamaha wiring diagram, the brown and green wires go to a plug then the brown goes up into the harness and connects to another brown wire that splits to the Main switch and to the fuse box. The Green wire doesn't seem to go past the intial plug after coming out of the R/R unit.
    thanks,
    baz

Some R/R's use a sense wire so you might want to check the Yamaha wiring diagram. Other than that all R/R's are pretty much the same.

BTW, to judge the effectiveness of the charging system you need to rev the engine to about 3000 rpm and measure the voltage then. It should be in the 14.5 - 15.5 range (hopefully at the lower end of this range).
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I wouldn't have done that - put a Yamaha bit on Suzuki. The front wheel will fall off....

Sorry, old UK joke from back in the day (and I don't know what it meant).

You'll be fine. Electricity doesn't know who made the bike.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Did you see the latest responses in your other thread about your r/r?

Have you gone through the Stator Papers?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Okay, it's been explained to me and the XJ R/R 'works' but only partially. The problem is in recitifies but doesn't regulate, meaning it's charging flat out all the time, which will boil off the battery acid pretty quickly. So it seems I still need to get the correct R/R. Aw, well... at least I found before going through a few batteries.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

You can contact member Duaneage for a Honda r/r. He buys them, tests them, then includes the proper terminals and sells them here, all at a very reasonable price.

An alternative is to find one of the newer FET-based R/Rs from bikes that are usually '07 and newer. I found a very cheap source in Honda 4-wheelers, their R/Rs are about $20-25 on eBay and work very nicely. They take a different plug, if you want to go that way, or you can just use spade connectors and seal the area. If you choose to go with a plug setup, Eastern Beaver sells a complete harness for $40 that makes the FET r/r a plug-and-play installation. I have done it twice so far and heartily recommend it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve,
              On eBay I found a couple of new R/Rs that might work.
              One is a 5-wire unit for Honda ATVs from 125 to 200cc.
              The other is also a 5-wire unit for Suzuki GN 125 to 250cc dirt bikes and ATVs.
              Both are under $20.
              Do you know if either of these will work on my 83 GS750ESD?
              thanks,
              baz

Comment

Originally posted by baz666 View Post
                Hi Steve,
                On eBay I found a couple of new R/Rs that might work.
                One is a 5-wire unit for Honda ATVs from 125 to 200cc.
                The other is also a 5-wire unit for Suzuki GN 125 to 250cc dirt bikes and ATVs.
                Both are under $20.
                Do you know if either of these will work on my 83 GS750ESD?
                thanks,
                baz
                Pm me the auction numbers so I can see them.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, what newer bikes would you reccommend? I have a 83 GS550E and like the idea of something newer. I am tossin around the idea of this rather than using a unit from this place http://www.erd.co.nz/

This place is supposed to have an updated, efficient product. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X