not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not charging

Leaving work couple of days ago and bike barely started (battery almost dead) Managed to get home with no juice to spare. Went through the tests from stator pages. Wires going to r/r from stator were melted. Replaced all burnt connections. Recharged battery and had it tested at parts store (tested good under load). Got about 13-13.2 volts at 2500 rpm, and about only 12.8-13. volts at 5000. Ohms for each of three tests on stator wires showed 1.1 on each and infiniite on resistance test on each wire. Got 70-72 volts at 4000 rpm test on each wire. On r/r test of red wire at idle got 0.3 volts. Cleaned or replace every connection I could And of course the blk/wh. wire on r/r is connected directly to battery. So I'm hoping the stator is good with result of tests, and I would assume the r/r is bad. Are my thoughts correct? terrylee

Hi,

I would concur with your diagnosis. It seems the active stator output and passive tests are OK. That leaves your r/r unit in need of replacement.

Although, I have had a stator start to fail once it gets good and warm. It would test fine in the garage but still leave me with a weak battery when I got home from work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll be contacting duanege as soon as payday arrives about get one of his. Then test everything again. teerylee

Comment

Working...
      X