signal light woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signal light woes

just put a new set of signals on my bike this afternoon. Signals won't flash. There not led, just small dual filament bulbs. Thinking of changing it over to an automotive flasher instead of the stock unit. Anybody think of a reason not to? I don't really want to mount another bulb somewhere or a resistor unit.

Originally posted by dcil View Post
    just put a new set of signals on my bike this afternoon. Signals won't flash. There not led, just small dual filament bulbs. Thinking of changing it over to an automotive flasher instead of the stock unit. Anybody think of a reason not to? I don't really want to mount another bulb somewhere or a resistor unit.
    Are you sure you have them wired up correctly? The dual filament bulbs have THREE wires coming out.. one for a running light (on with the key) and one for the signal light, and then the ground.. You must have them wired up correctly, or they wont flash. The flasher requires that there is a certain load, or it wont work. if you have them wired backwards, it doesnt see that load. If you dont have them grounded properly, it doesnt see that load either. Try swapping the power wires around.. (Signal wire on the right is usually a greyish green wire, the left signal wire is black, the running light will be a grey wire with a dual bullet connector, and the ground is black and white..this is out of the harness, not your new lights) Let us know if this works..

Comment

Depending on the signals and what they are drawing for power you may need an electronic flasher from any auto store...I paid $8 for mine..

DDM

Comment

was thinking about trying to put in a 552 standard flasher. may go electronic though.

Comment

was thinking about trying to put in a 552 standard flasher. may go electronic though.
          It IS possible the stock flasher is bad.. A Autozone special, one that happens to have the same plug pattern as yours (they DO have em) will do just as well...

Comment

The ones I pulled off worked fine, figure the bulbs in the new lights don't have enough draw. They are dual filament, wired correctly.

Comment

The ones I pulled off worked fine, figure the bulbs in the new lights don't have enough draw. They are dual filament, wired correctly.
              What bulb type do they use.. I have accidentally purchased the wrong bulb for my GSs before and even tho it fit, it made the flasher quit working.. I had to write down the bulb type in my tank bag so i could remember NOT to do that again..lol

Comment

signal lights work if u tap the flasher or have the rpm up where it vibrates pretty good. guess it's time for a new flasher.

Comment

signal lights work if u tap the flasher or have the rpm up where it vibrates pretty good. guess it's time for a new flasher.

Re-install the old ones to see if it works.
                  Not sure but does that model have the self canceling option?
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                  X