connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connectors

No hi beam. Bulb looked okay and ohm tested okay. No voltage at the head light connector for the hi beam. Traced back to connector between the fairing and bike harness.

Found what looked like a connector pulled out of connector body. BUt on closer inspection can see that the connector is broken, the metal part broken.

Have worked with other types of connectors at work. Need a special tool to release the connector out of the connector body (or the remains of the connector in this case). And would need a replacement connector to crimp onto the wire, then reinsert back into connector body.

I suppose getting the special tool and one connector isnt practical for this.

Maybe repair by using generic crimp on connectors for just this one wire.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

You might find a generic four pin connector from an electronics shop? Automotive stereo shop? Marine supply place.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      No hi beam. Bulb looked okay and ohm tested okay. No voltage at the head light connector for the hi beam. Traced back to connector between the fairing and bike harness.

Found what looked like a connector pulled out of connector body. BUt on closer inspection can see that the connector is broken, the metal part broken.

Have worked with other types of connectors at work. Need a special tool to release the connector out of the connector body (or the remains of the connector in this case). And would need a replacement connector to crimp onto the wire, then reinsert back into connector body.

I suppose getting the special tool and one connector isnt practical for this.

Maybe repair by using generic crimp on connectors for just this one wire.

Sounds like the path of least resistance to me..

Comment

I've gotten the connectors out of the plugs before and replaced them. If that fails Radio Shack has some generic plugs and sockets that will work. In modifying my harness to use GSXR gauges and switches I used some I found at RS.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I've used tweezers, paper clips, thin blades and picks to push back the locking tabs on a lot of connectors to get them out of the housing. Maybe you can figure something out without having to buy a special tool. That was a good catch. Making the connection outside the connector will work too, just not as neat. Good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Trim the plastic back & solder the two pieces together. Coat with silicon sealant

Comment

There are some nice replacements here: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...FKWH/fkwh.html
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yep, the Eastern Beaver connectors are one way to go, but there are other companies, too. Cycle Re-Cycle has a selection, as does Vintage Connections.

Other "quick and dirty" methods include simply removing the mate to that wire from the other connector and using insulated spade connectors to put the two back together. If you feel the need to keep them all in one 4-pin connector, you can use a "flat 4" trailer connector.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys.

Some of those replacement connector bodys and pins look famialiar.
                  I think I will order some pins (male and female) to have on hand.

But, may repair this by adding (butt splice) a lenght of wire and add crimp on connectors around the exisitng connector body. Am in a hurry to have back together here in a couple days.

Last edited by Redman; 04-05-2010, 11:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                  X