Airbox woes - how to fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox woes - how to fix this?

OK... my coils should be good now... oil is changed... waiting on a fix for my muffler...
    BUT because the gas poured out of my airbox I thought it might be a good idea to check that out as well. Its a shambles - the actual filter is full of gas, or too much oil... so I'll need to clean and re oil the filter. My BIG issue here is with the seals - they are toast. Should I make new ones up out of foam and glue them on or.... is there a better way? Here are some pics of what I'm talking about:

Depending on the brand, you may need a new air filter - not all of them are cleanable

Go here

For a tutorial on how to use common weatherstripping to seal your air box (sealing is crucial)
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I usually hack up sheet foam or roll type weather strip and use weather strip adhesive to bond it to the plastic. never hurts to use a bit of grease on the surface opposite to trap dirt trying to sneak by either. I do hte grease thing on all my air cleaner sealing surfaces, bikes, lawnmowers, cars etc. I have wiped a lot of dirty grease off of air cleaners over the years......

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Depending on the brand, you may need a new air filter - not all of them are cleanable

Go here

For a tutorial on how to use common weatherstripping to seal your air box (sealing is crucial)
        I am definitely going to need to replace the foam seal on the "top" - it's pretty much toast... but can I just make one up our of 1\4 foam cut to size... the filter itself should be fine. I just need a "primer" or "howto".

I should have thought to check Bikecliff's site first (duh)... pretty much everything there!

Thanks Big T!

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
          I usually hack up sheet foam or roll type weather strip and use weather strip adhesive to bond it to the plastic. never hurts to use a bit of grease on the surface opposite to trap dirt trying to sneak by either. I do hte grease thing on all my air cleaner sealing surfaces, bikes, lawnmowers, cars etc. I have wiped a lot of dirty grease off of air cleaners over the years......
          I was wondering if that was possible! Perfect - I'm one step closer to starting my bike! And that tip will save me money - I owe you a beer.

Comment

+1 on the weatherstripping.. thats how i did the one on my 78.. scraped all the factory stuff off and cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol so there wouldnt be any oily residue where it sticks to the metal. I think i used 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 thick. If it wears out then just redo it..and thats a good tip there gggary on the grease on the other side...stops it from adhearing to the inside of the airbox too!!!
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-04-2010, 03:50 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X