High Beam switch for second headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Beam switch for second headlight

So I'm thinking of doing a dual headlight mod. I want to have in the stock system my HID bulb as my low beam and run another circuit for my high beam but use the same stock switch to run both. Here are my questions and my thoughts:

1. Will this headlight fit into the housing of a stock 83 gs 750t?

2. I know I will need a separate kill switch for the HID so I don't burn it out on start-up.

3. Will the low beam stay on when I turn the switch to high beam if I'm using the same switch?

4. Will this be too much of a load on my charging system?

5. Can I use the stock switch by removing the wire to the high beam and using that as the signal wire to my separate circuit?

Any thoughts or ideas to add would be great, I love hearing peoples thoughts and opinions.

It appears to be a 7" light, so, if the 750 uses a 7" light, it might fit.
    I say "might" because you also have to check the depth of the light in the bucket.

Your stock High/Low selector only powers one at a time, so there should be no problem there. What you might want to do is to put a relay in the system to turn the lights off while you start the bike or maybe just make sure you have the halogen high beam selected before using the starter. That would eliminate any problems with short-cycling the HID unit.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The low beam will go out when you switch to high. If you want both on at the same time I am sure you could wire in a diode
      Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
      2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

So no one thinks the power output of the stock system is too low to do this? If thats the case I think this is worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Thenewguy View Post
          So no one thinks the power output of the stock system is too low to do this? If thats the case I think this is worth a try.
          It is probably OK at highway speeds (4-5K RPM and above)

Comment

HID's only use 35 watts, which is less than the standard bulbs..

I appreciate there is a higher starting current, but this only last for a very short time, and shouldn't cause any problems..

John

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
              The low beam will go out when you switch to high. If you want both on at the same time I am sure you could wire in a diode
              hijack...
              My high beam isn't focused to my liking -- it's aimed a little higher than useful, a little high and to the left.
              My low beam seems aimed okay, if a little left leaning.

I was riding tonight and discovered if I just nudge the selector I could get both low and high on, which was very nice.

So is it a freak thing that I can manage both on?
              "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Nope its normal, most switches have a point in between that you can get both on or both off

Current draw for one beam on low is 5-6 amps on stock light

6-6.5 for high.

Combined in paralell... I have to check but I'm going to guess 8-10 amps @ 14v ( I know not 11-12 as math would lead you to believe. but there is allot off loss in the wiring harness)

I'll Hijack this one once more by adding that there is at least a 1-2v drop if you measure from your batt or RR all the way to the ignition switch when its on and running at a good RPM. So there is resistance and current draw there. More current there means less power to everything else.

Food for thought

So yes you can run it with both high and low on but add some wires from the batt and ground to a relay and use that to supply power when switching to high so that your not dragging down the wiring harness.

Wether or not the charging system can keep up is something to test
                Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

You can adjust the position of the beam left and right with a small screw in the rim of the headlight...
                  Adjust for main beam to be straight on, the dipped will take care of itself.

John

Comment

Working...
                  X