Portland to Bay Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portland to Bay Area?

Come May, when the mountain passes get a bit warmer, I plan on ferrying my second bike, a Suzuki GS1100E, from Tigard OR, down to my place in Morgan Hill, CA. I have driven the route 3 times recently, down I5 each time, and really, really, don't want to take that route with the bike. The traffic can get heavy and aggressive, particularly south of Redding. Not my idea of a fun time, particularly on a light bike like the Suzuki.

The plan is to do the trip over a Saturday and Sunday, finding a hotel somewhere about half way. I am thinking of crossing from the I5 corridor to Highway 97 at Eugene (the Willamette Pass, highway 58) and taking 97 down to Yosemite or so, then cutting over to Morgan Hill. Or as an alternate, taking I5 to Redding (nice mountains from Eugene to Redding) and taking the road from Redding to the coast then following 101 the rest of the way down. I hear that the road from Redding to the coast is really nice for motorcycles!

So after all this, here's my question. Where are the cool roads that I don't want to miss on this epic journey? I have a good idea what I want to do in Oregon, but that leaves 400 miles of northern California to explore. There just must be some favorite roads, good food, places to stay, and so on.

Bring it on!
Working...
X