Tight valve symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tight valve symptoms?

Hard starting? Coughing and popping when hot?

I'm getting a Clymer manual from the library this weekend. My buddies 1980 850 ran pretty good for the first ride of the season, then after about 1/2 hour, tried again and it was popping and missing a bit.

Yes, all the above can be signs of the clearances on several valves being too tight.

These are also signs of intake leaks, too.

But first, get the valve clearances right.

Poke around for Basscliff's mega-welcome for the list of stuff to do to an 850.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Where can I get the valve depressor tool so I don't have to remove the cams? Or is it pretty simple to remove the cams without throwing the timing off?

Comment

You don't have to remove the cams -- this ain't one of those primitive Kawasakis...

The proper tool is less than $20 from several sources. Here's one:
        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Once you know what shims you need, Z1 is also a good source for shims. There's also a shim club somewhere around here, or perhaps there's someone in your area with a shim kit.

There's also a horrific ghetto zip-tie method of propping open the valves that some people swear by. Search around and look for Basscliff's illustrated instructions.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          You don't have to remove the cams -- this ain't one of those primitive Kawasakis...

There's also a horrific ghetto zip-tie method of propping open the valves that some people swear by. Search around and look for Basscliff's illustrated instructions.
          You don't have to remove the cams on all Kawasakis, the ones I had were shim over bucket, just like the GSs.

Don't know how "horrific" it is, but the zip-tie method is my method of choice.
          I have the tool, but have a hard time using it. Zip-ties work every time.

Maybe it's a training issue, maybe it's a tool issue (non-OEM tool), but it's just too hard to use for me.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            You don't have to remove the cams on all Kawasakis, the ones I had were shim over bucket, just like the GSs.

Maybe it's a training issue, maybe it's a tool issue (non-OEM tool), but it's just too hard to use for me.

So how does the cable tie method work?

Cheap bastard is my middle name!

Comment

Originally posted by D.T. View Post
              So how does the cable tie method work?

Cheap bastard is my middle name!
              From BassCliff's ever-so-helpful site:

Comment

Hi Mr. D.T.,

I'll save you the trouble of finding your "mega-welcome". Here are the necessary links...

Mega-Welcome Page

BikeCliff website

Read 'em, learn 'em, love 'em!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi Mr. D.T.,

I'll save you the trouble of finding your "mega-welcome". Here are the necessary links...

Mega-Welcome Page

BikeCliff website

Read 'em, lean 'em, love 'em!

BassCliff
                  you forgot your "R" in 'learn' there Cliff... sounds sorta kinky without it..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    you forgot your "R" in 'learn' there Cliff... sounds sorta kinky without it..
                    Yeah, I noticed that, too.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hi,

I'll try to proofread better.

I's a gud speler mosta da time.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Trolling's so easy sometimes...

Yes, the zip-ties work, but the tappet depressor tool is much faster.

I will agree that the tappet tool seems to take a certain "touch" to work. I usually don't have much trouble, but a lot of people do. Next time through, we'll have to figure out what I'm doing differently and document the difference. I think perhaps I'm angling the tool differently.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

I guess I'll just have to come over some time and get a lesson on how to use the tool properly.

Kinda like learning to ride. You can do it yourself and make lots of mistakes, hopefully learn from them or you can learn from a pro.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Trolling's so easy sometimes...

Yes, the zip-ties work, but the tappet depressor tool is much faster.

I will agree that the tappet tool seems to take a certain "touch" to work. I usually don't have much trouble, but a lot of people do. Next time through, we'll have to figure out what I'm doing differently and document the difference. I think perhaps I'm angling the tool differently.
                            Good things happen, with a properly angled tool...

Sorry, Brian, I had to point it out!

Comment

You can have a shim out and in within five minutes with the tool. I'd say even less.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X