Weighing a bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighing a bike

Is there any way of weighing a bike at home fairly accurately? just interested to see how much weight i have lost off the bike from standard.
    local weigh bridge only does trucks and lorries so wont be very accurate for a motorcycle
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Bathroom scale, one wheel at a time. Add the two together. To be accurate put the other wheel on a board or something the same height as the scale.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Bathroom scale, one wheel at a time. Add the two together. To be accurate put the other wheel on a board or something the same height as the scale.
      i thought of that method but wasnt sure if it would work or not
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Two bathroon scales or jack it up under engine on 1 scale?

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
          Two bathroon scales or jack it up under engine on 1 scale?
          dont think my bathroom scales can take the weight lol
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Stand on the scale, pick the bike up and just subtract your weight...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Stand on the scale, pick the bike up and just subtract your weight...
              ha that made my day

Comment

take it to any grain elevator if your in a country setting and have them weigh it on the big scale....or if the tag is still readable on the steering head read it there............................................. ..............or you can google the bike too and see if you can find a spec sheet..maybe take it down to that scale you stated and put it on the scale with a truck and see what the whole thing weighs, then reweigh just the truck and do the math from there. I am sure the weigh master will get a hoot out of helping you out!!!
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What about taking it to the land fill/ recycling center and using there scales?

Comment

Originally posted by dcil View Post
                    What about taking it to the land fill/ recycling center and using there scales?
                    they arent accurate enough.
                    a standard UK GS1000E weighs 234KG dry weight. thinking about it i must have shed a whole lot of weight from the standard bike.
                    maybe someone will help me lift it while i try and balance on the scales
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

know anyone that works in a factory that may have one of those 4'x4' scales they use to weigh pallets before shipping them??? I know they are very accurate and go to low weighing fractions as well.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Another option is to use a lever. Put Get a 6' 2x12, mark the center. Support one end of the 2x12 at the height of the scale, put the other end on the scale, and the bike wheel in the center. Half of the weight is supported at each end, so double the scale reading.

Best suggestion so far, however is the pallet scale. They are industrial duty, can easily handle the weight of the bike, are calibrated often, and getting a bike on and off is simple. The difficulty is finding a factory or loading dock that will let you use one.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

those pallet scales are literally everywhere.. i bet he knows at least 5 buddies that either have one at their shops or knows exactly where there is one he can weigh it on..

Comment

Working...
                          X