Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

push rod seal? / shifter oring where......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

push rod seal? / shifter oring where......

Ok I have been trying to find this push-rod seal for my 80 gs750e and I cannot for the life of me find it in the fishe. I have seen the other threads for a 83 and am i stupid to think it ha one so should I?....

I ask as there is the portland tuner thing and I doing my oil pump oring there.... issue is the shifter seal oring if it needs to be replaced needs the clutch out too... was hoping not to have to disconnect my clutch twice and tackle that when I am there.

I already looked around my oil pan after cleaning it off and the seal on that looks just fine...I did starter oring last year, I am thinking the leak is in 1 of 3 places.

1 - shift lever oring (requires clutch removal to pull out the shaft and switch the oring)
    2. counter sprocket seal... I was moving this guy around when I did my 530 conversion...perhaps I dislodged the seal when I tightened it back down?
    3. clutch pushrod seal....(do I have one of these or am i just schematic challenged)

help me oh guru's of GS Wisdom.....I somehow expect to be called a noob from one of you guys...(you know who you are)
    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM.

Your bike doesn't have a clutch pushrod.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

your model has the ratchet mechanism...not the worm gear with the push rod.

Comment

You asked for it!

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
        help me oh guru's of GS Wisdom.....I somehow expect to be called a noob from one of you guys...(you know who you are)

Not that I'm any kind of "guru", but I couldn't resist.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What's leaking Scott?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            your model has the ratchet mechanism...not the worm gear with the push rod.
            Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Your bike doesn't have a clutch pushrod.
            Thats what I was thinking always good to be sure thanks for the confirmation...I didn't have a push rod.... not the worm gear thingy... that giberish to me....

I going to have to look under the sprocket cover tomorrow when it is light out...hopefully it will be more apparent then.. right now all I know is I leave the bike on the side stand when I get home from work in the morning and it is a small puddle by time I go to leave for work in the afternoon. Annoying for sure, I know without looking at it physically cannot be sure but sprocket cover leaving this kind of puddle I would think shifter o-ring or counter sprocket seal is only thing in this spot that could be leaking...I have hunch I am looking at the counter sprocket seal..... Since it seemed to have gotten worse after counter sprocket was done I betting it is that...

I'll post pics tomorrow...just hope I find it as this is not something I want to leave unfixed before summer trip season gets in high gear...that and oil leaking near my rear tire gives me the creeps even if it only a drip...

Only two possibilities now....

Moved... was I so tired this morning I posted in the wrong forum?> lol

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

BassCliff
            Thank you Bass....i think.... =P
            Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 03:42 AM.

Comment

There are three seals under the sprocket cover. The gear indicator o-ring, countersprocket seal and shifter shaft seal.
              Be careful and pay close attention to the mystery hole near the cover. This can leak oil from a stator cover, starter o-ring, cam chain, rear valve cover and rear head gasket.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                There are three seals under the sprocket cover. The gear indicator o-ring, countersprocket seal and shifter shaft seal.
                Be careful and pay close attention to the mystery hole near the cover. This can leak oil from a stator cover, starter o-ring, cam chain, rear valve cover and rear head gasket.
                From all the ones you listed I am hoping it is counter sprocket seal...do not wanna have to do a head gasket again as I tackled that my... several years aog on inital topend rebuild which I destroyed new cams and all and had to replace....I need to go to hardware store and get myself some allen head sockets... using the hand ones I have to take these screws off is a PITA...work has been a bear all week I will look at this when I am off thursday

Update:
                I checked around the chain tensioner, valve cover, and peaked in the starter cover no oil leaks I can see....Top of motor looks dry of leaks from when I washed the motor off to help locate them. Going to hardward store tomorrow to get my allen head sockets. Obviously if I need a seal I likely SOL unless I find this leak under my counter sprocket cover and the stealer happens to have it in stock... 'I really hope it is the counter sprocket or gear sensor that is weaping' .... least that I can do without having to take clutch out again...
                Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Ok well after the tuning party I did not dive into my clutch at all.. on my way down my stator cover appeared to be leaking seems my weak point may be easier to fix after all... stripped one of the stator cover bolts though so now I have to fix that. Will do once I get a decent DIY cut. Right now I just driving...I am bike overworked for this week and have other things to do
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

BassCliff
                    Cliff, stop it. You are the best guru of all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X