OK, OK, OK... I give!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, OK, OK... I give!

I got the Dyna coils (green) installed and the Dyna S igntion. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them real good. Not my first time cleaning carbs but my first time ever removing carbs and installin ghtem on a GS... WOW!!!

Now my problem is I can start the bike and run it as long as I am srpaying ether or carb cleaner in little squirts into the air box.

It will not start without this nor will it stay running when I quit. I checked the bowls and definately getting fuel. I checked compression and all good there.

I keep reading about faulty ignitions... Could this be an issue here? Sound familiar to anyone? It was doing the same thing before pulling carbs and cleaning them. Almost like I am not getting fuel because I know I am getting spark. However, the bowls have fuel in them and I know I cleaned the jets real good.

Anyone have a thought on where to start?

How well did you clean the choke passage(s) in the flat bowls? did you spray carb cleaner through those passages to check and see if they're unobstructed?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Install new plugs and check to see if they have good spark.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Make sure the airbox is installed and the pilot jets are open (hold them up to a light and make sure the orifice is open). If the bike fires with ether the problem is most likely carbs, not spark.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So if you do that for a while (spray and keep it running), do all the pipes get hot? Is the airbox closed? Tightly sealed? Air filter in place? She won't run right if you're leaking air, though you may be able to compensate with some extra fuel.

Comment

did you use spray carb cleaner or disassemble them and dip them. I've learned the hard way, only dip them. Otherwise you just killin time

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              How well did you clean the choke passage(s) in the flat bowls? did you spray carb cleaner through those passages to check and see if they're unobstructed?
              I made sure to clean the choke passages real good.

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              Install new plugs and check to see if they have good spark.
              Got new plugs and getting good spark.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Make sure the airbox is installed and the pilot jets are open (hold them up to a light and make sure the orifice is open). If the bike fires with ether the problem is most likely carbs, not spark.
              Well, airbox is installed but the airbox boots ar enot on all the way. Fought them for over an hour with lube and all and can't seem to get them back on. Figured I would get something even if it ran rough.

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
              So if you do that for a while (spray and keep it running), do all the pipes get hot? Is the airbox closed? Tightly sealed? Air filter in place? She won't run right if you're leaking air, though you may be able to compensate with some extra fuel.
              Yes, all of the pipes are getting hot. I figured she would run rough because I need new filter and air box not sealed up well. I have never ran into a bike that at least would not run when giving throttle. Although it would normally run rough but at least start.

Originally posted by dcil View Post
              did you use spray carb cleaner or disassemble them and dip them. I've learned the hard way, only dip them. Otherwise you just killin time
              I used spray cleaner and air. Same thing I have done about a thousand times on other bikes? Am I missing something as why dip only and not spray?

Comment

Any secrets or tips on getting air box boots onto the carbs with them in place?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  +1

If it fires, the part that lights the fire is lighting the fire. If it needs you to keep spraying fuel into the carbs to keep it firing, and starting fluid counts as a fuel, look there.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Try this

Pull the full choke and then try too turn over. Afterwards immediatly pull one of the plugs and see if it is wet. If it is dry the you know there is no fuel getting to the plugs and if it is wetthen it is most likely the airbox. The gs bikes to tend to have problems if the vacuum created by the airbox is not working properly. Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm gonna say what all the old members here say every time something begins to happen, did you adjust the valves? It is a thread line that almost always gets asked. Don't ask me about doing it, I'm just about to begin on mine like you have.

Comment

Originally posted by car99r View Post

Got new plugs and getting good spark.

Soak the carbs(unassmbled), install the airbox and be done with it.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by car99r View Post
                          Any secrets or tips on getting air box boots onto the carbs with them in place?
                          Hi,

Use a little lubrication (silicone spray, axel grease, 3-n-1 oil, whatever). New boots help a lot. When I replaced my intake boots (carb to head) and airbox boots (airbox to carbs) they practically jumped together. If you'd like to check out my experience, there's a guide on my website (for my 850). What bike do you have? Please put it in your sig so we don't have to ask or go searching through your old posts.

Also, you just can't take shortcuts. There are tried and true, proven methods for cleaning the carbs, adjusting the valves, etc, everything it takes to get these classic bikes running like a top. It's all in your mega-welcome. Or you can click on the "READ ME" file on my website. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Sorry, will put the bike in my sig. It is an 82 GS550L.

I am going to work on getting the airbox on good and sealed up tomorrow. Had to call it a day today due to the nasty four letter word...

Just to answer a few questions above though.

No, I did not check the valves so I think I will pull the carbs back out tomorrow and do that. Double check all passages on them while out and make sure cleaned well.

Then work on getting carbs back in and airbox boots on... Didn't think about vacuum created from airbox... Even when the lid was on I did not have it secured.

Gonna give it one more try...

Comment

You probably know this, but pull out the choke fully, dot NOT twist the throttle at all until it is running well. If you are goosing the throttle while starting it tends to do exactly what you are getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X