oil cooler compatability with GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler compatability with GS1100

On the bay, a cooler off of gsxr 750. probably not compatible with the air cooled gs1100...Don't want to ruin Trippivot's good work from last week on the cams. Just thought I would take a shot as it was cheap... Thanks in advance...
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
    On the bay, a cooler off of gsxr 750. probably not compatible with the air cooled gs1100...Don't want to ruin Trippivot's good work from last week on the cams. Just thought I would take a shot as it was cheap... Thanks in advance...
    Find a cooler from an 1150, or a GS750ES (83 and up) Your 1100ES block is plumbed for the hardline coolers used on the later models (what Im running on MY ES) the two big bolts at the bottom front of the motor come out, Banjos of the same size go in with the 1150 cooler lines..you'll have to figure out a mounting bracket but easy enough and Bobs your mothers brother...

Comment

Don't forget, you need the oil filter cover from a 1150.
      The Three Horsemen
      '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
      '83 GS1100ES
      ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
      Porkchop Express

Comment

whut bot dem sayed

Comment

Thanks for the direction to take... I saw a thread that had a picture of the filter cover with a metal plug inserted(eaasy now...)to divert the oil flow to the cooler. I assume that I would not have to get a different cover... I will do a search... Thanks again.
          Curt

Comment

It doesn't just screw in where the bolts where? Mine came with a cooler already installed. How do I know if it's hooked up properly? How is the 1150 Oil filter cover different?

Comment

The 1150 oil filter cover was designed with a cast in galley blockage. If you take off the filter cover and look at the bottom right corner(as you are sitting on the bike),there is a circular casting. If you compare each bottom corner, and they look the same, you have the wrong cover. If you have that cover, it is not designed to send oil thru the cooler...I am looking for the mod to the standard cover that diverts oil to the cooler. If I find the picture, I will let you know where to look...
              Curt

Comment

Take a look at this site... It explains the theory really well...http://theflyingbanana.com/oil-cooler.htm. I have just not seen used 1150 filter covers for sale used in a while. Thats why I am trying to modify the standard 1100 cover...
                Curt

Comment

The 1150 oil filter cover was designed with a cast in galley blockage. If you take off the filter cover and look at the bottom right corner(as you are sitting on the bike),there is a circular casting. If you compare each bottom corner, and they look the same, you have the wrong cover. If you have that cover, it is not designed to send oil thru the cooler...I am looking for the mod to the standard cover that diverts oil to the cooler. If I find the picture, I will let you know where to look...
                  Curt
                  I have the cover you need, And a DERALE cooler. You'll have to replace the lines.

Comment

Take a look at this site... It explains the theory really well...http://theflyingbanana.com/oil-cooler.htm. I have just not seen used 1150 filter covers for sale used in a while. Thats why I am trying to modify the standard 1100 cover...
                    Curt
                    Wow that is a great description. The only thing I might mention is that I have heard of and seen in the manual the fact that these is a n oil cooler "by-pass", unfortunately it is only mentioed in the manual under "Lubrication System", on the oil path schematic.

I'm going to repost this link in Popoular Technical info.

Thanks Bellucci

But then again, we must keep in mind that there is a by-pass valve incorporated in the oil-system's design, so that (for example) if the oil-filter is hopelessly blocked, then the valve is opened so that the engine doesn't starve of oil. And in the event of a blocked oil cooler, the same valve would perform the same function. [And thanks to Warwick for pointing out the bleedin' obvious to me on this one!]

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Wow that is a great description. The only thing I might mention is that I have heard of and seen in the manual the fact that these is a n oil cooler "by-pass", unfortunately it is only mentioed in the manual under "Lubrication System", on the oil path schematic.

I'm going to repost this link in Popoular Technical info.

Thanks Bellucci
                      Ok so then this answers my next question.. I was about to freak out because I put an 1150 filter cap on my bike, and I have an 1150 cooler to mount but I hadnt made up a bracket for it yet. Plus its not really hot enough here yet to worry about it, and since my STOCK filter cap had been modified for the Derale cooler i used to have on it, I couldnt use the stock cap. I thought maybe the 1150 cap with no cooler would do damage...this proves that it WONT do any damage correct?

Comment

I am not sure if you can run a 1150 cover without a oil cooler... I will read the info I saw again and try to respond tomorrow... Wiser people on this site might be able to help... I do remember Rapid Ray talking about this in a older thread... I will search tomorrow... Cafe Kid, I will contact you about the cover and the cooler... I do like the idea of a factory plumbed cooler... We shall see what makes the most sense... meanwhile I wait for a valve cover gasket to arrive..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Ok so then this answers my next question.. I was about to freak out because I put an 1150 filter cap on my bike, and I have an 1150 cooler to mount but I hadnt made up a bracket for it yet. Plus its not really hot enough here yet to worry about it, and since my STOCK filter cap had been modified for the Derale cooler i used to have on it, I couldnt use the stock cap. I thought maybe the 1150 cap with no cooler would do damage...this proves that it WONT do any damage correct?
                          You've done it now
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Seems to me that the cover adds a restriction in the system so I wouldn't use it without the cooler.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think thats what I read also... Cafe Kid, I will pm you on the cover and cooler...
                              Curt

Comment

Working...
                              X