camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camshaft

did me a search and I going to take this thing apart,only thing I am wondering about is removel of cams everyone says to clamp them down before removing caps I am afraid of breaking a fin or something, does anyone have a pic of this process or can explain it to me thanks... 81 1100e

just crack off all the cam clamps evenly and slowly. you will be fine mate. no need to clamp it
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

what about install do you clamp the cams down then,read if you dont might strip threads

Comment

Originally posted by feder1100 View Post
        what about install do you clamp the cams down then,read if you dont might strip threads
        same as removal mate, just carefully pull down all the clamps evenly, one side of the head to the other, then torque them up
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

I just did the process you are going to do... If you are not going to move the bottom end, set the cams in the position that you will have to be in to reassemble. Set the crank to the t mark and the camshafts to the timing marks on the cam gears at the respective positions.. Look at the diagram in the shop manual. The slots in the ends of the cams will help you line things up so when you put it back together, it all works easily...
          Curt
          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            same as removal mate, just carefully pull down all the clamps evenly, one side of the head to the other, then torque them up

nothing against anyone , but the factory manual even says ,and shows clamping them down, i wouldnt risk stripping the threads personally, i have done that in the past on a kawi, heli coils are a pain in the a$$
            if you want i can take a pic of it in my manual and send it to ya / email
            just precautionary

it doesnt clamp on the fin area

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
              nothing against anyone , but the factory manual even says ,and shows clamping them down, i wouldnt risk stripping the threads personally, i have done that in the past on a kawi, heli coils are a pain in the a$$
              if you want i can take a pic of it in my manual and send it to ya / email
              just precautionary

it doesnt clamp on the fin area
              factory manuals tell you a lot of things that are completely unnessecary. if done with a little caution and even tightening you will not have a problem. yank one side down too far before the other side then you run the risk of stripping threads
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

just did this myself.... As agemax said, for removal I'd just loosen them evenly and slowly and you'll be fine. I used a pair of vise grips to clamp them down and when I released the vise grips the cam shot up on me. (You can probably avoid that with a little finesse though.) For reinstalling, it's a lot easier to just clamp them down to the top of the head. you don't need to touch the fins. I'd def suggest lining everything up b4 you take it apart. not necessary, but it'll make life easier on reassembly. I only had one set of vise grips, so.... Lined up the crank, put both cams in, cam chain on, clamp one side down and torque the cap bolts, clamp the other side, torque the caps, and you're done. just make sure you double and triple check that everything lines up correctly as stated in your manual....

Comment

HEy cyclefvr2 ill send you p.m. with e-mail for picif you dont mind my haynes manuel does not have a pic like that

Comment

another thing will gasket set from z-1 work alright,I did not see o-rings for base of cylinder in it, any trick to making sure I have no leaks and the piston rings not sure where to get them some have told me 1168 kit?? but p.o. said they are stock?? any help, thanks... trying to get this done asap

Comment

I'm a proponent of clamping the cams down before tightening the caps. It makes timing the exhaust cam easier for one thing.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        factory manuals tell you a lot of things that are completely unnessecary. if done with a little caution and even tightening you will not have a problem. yank one side down too far before the other side then you run the risk of stripping threads

but if you use the vice pliers propperly the whole cam will sit evenly, no worries

Comment

Originally posted by feder1100 View Post
                          another thing will gasket set from z-1 work alright,I did not see o-rings for base of cylinder in it, any trick to making sure I have no leaks and the piston rings not sure where to get them some have told me 1168 kit?? but p.o. said they are stock?? any help, thanks... trying to get this done asap
                          Not sure what you are trying to say.
                          The o-rings on the bottom of the cylinder aren't needed.
                          Find out what pistons you do have installed. If stock any Suzuki online vendor and if 1168 try APE. Neither are cheap.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i dont know on o rings, i know gaskasinch/ indian head/ seals, if used properly, maybe some suzuki bond? "base gasket"
                            rtv sealer, is garbage dont use it if someone gives it to you

if you need the case "base gasket area" decked /,milled to straighten, then, do it dont try to compensate warpage with sealer, if the jug is warped get a different one
                            dont recal seing a warped base gasket side before lol, im sure its happened though

dont want to steer you wrong

Comment

Just looking at manuel I have, has o-rings with cyl.base gasket. thought I had to use them base does not leak now, hope its sealed up dont want to do it twice.Do you measure piston around where the pin goes through for size and what size is stock 81 1100 piston this book that came with bike has different size for different model or something dont quite get it??

Comment

Working...
                              X