Rear End Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear End Swap

Has any body ever swap rear ends on a shaft drive GL850 in order to reduce the RPMs on the freeway.
    My 1980 850 is turning 5000rpms at 70 mph.
    I believe I read somewere that a Gs 1000 or 1100 rear end would lower the rpm by about 400 to 500 rpms.
    Not sure if this info is true.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM.

Hi,

It's true.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 04:12 PM.

Comment

However, I've been coast to coast on mine, and running at 6-7k rpm for extended periods of time hasn't hurt it a bit. Just turned over 75k miles on Sunday.

Comment

I just... ergh... ack... aw, fergit it.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hey Brian, shall we tell him about the secret mod to enable 6th gear?

I'm just kidding folks. Actually, Mr. don80gl850, I just noticed that was your first post. So after my gentle reminder to use the Search Feature, I'll give you a cordial welcome to the forum. You'll also find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X