Just got an 83' 750T have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got an 83' 750T have some questions

I just traded one of my cars for this bike. 30k, all original. I was just wondering about cold start ups on this bike, I always have to use the choke no matter what the temperature is. And until it is fully warmed up it bogs down really bad until about 3500 rpms then it wakes up and kinda jumps and takes off, does it in all gears. Once it is fully warmed up it is fine not sluggish at all. But it normally takes a long time to warm up about 5 miles. Is this normal or am I being to impatient an need to wait, with a high idle it still takes awhile to warm up.

My next question is that I would like to add a backrest to the bike, I've seen a backrest/luggage rack combo and like the way it looks, but can't find one. What are my options, other bikes? Aftermarket companies? I tried eBay with no luck.

Thank you all in advance for your help,

Chris

Greeetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. coolman911c,

There are not a lot of aftermarket accessories for these classic bikes any more. The ebay and the "parts wanted" and "parts for sale" sections of this forum are probably your best bet.

There are a couple of maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" that will cure all manner of ills with your bike. Your bike's issue could be tight valve clearances or a dirty pilot circuit in the carbs. I encourage you to do it all right the first time and not take shortcuts. Welcome to the forum. Let's get started.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

picture isnt very good, but more to come later.

Comment

If the carbs are clean and you don't have any intake leaks take out the idle mixture screws about a 1/2 turn.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by coolman911c View Post
          ...I always have to use the choke no matter what the temperature is. And until it is fully warmed up it bogs down really bad until about 3500 rpms then it wakes up and kinda jumps and takes off, does it in all gears....

My next question is that I would like to add a backrest to the bike, I've seen a backrest/luggage rack combo and like the way it looks, but can't find one. What are my options, other bikes? Aftermarket companies? I tried eBay with no luck.

These bikes ARE cold blooded, but I commuted on my '82 T all winter long (down to 18F). I've been riding my '81 E for the last month or so and even when the ambient temp is in the 70's it needs to be "choked" if the bike is "cold".... and it gets cold just sitting for a few hours.

The surging you describes tells me the carbs need cleaning, period.

I have a K/G Engineering sissy bar/rack combination that I used on my E for years. It has adjustable supports that attach to the top shock mount and a fixed mount at the rear turn signals. The adjustment was enough that I was able to mount it on the T model. The T models have a much shorter distance from the shock to the blinkers. Said all that just to show that if you can find a rack with adjustment, it'll probably work.... risky though.

Enjoy the "new" ride
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Mine is a little quirky on how quick it starts, but always warms up quick. It could be that we just have dirt in different places.
            Hondas
            '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
            Suzuki
            '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
            Kaw
            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X