Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly cleaned carbs, runs, turn signal kills bike...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly cleaned carbs, runs, turn signal kills bike...?

Hello everyone.

I have an 81 suzuki gs650gl. It's going to be an awesome bike... when it's roadworthy.
    It's not far off, I bought it moving and running, but since then, it sat for about a year. In the fall, it was started occasionally, the battery replaced, and the fuel replaced with fresh gas and stabilizer.

Today, I cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel line and filter.

I cranked it over, but to prime the carbs, I popped a drain valve on one carb, and the one cylinder started firing - the others a few revolutions later.

The bike started up, purred, and (the choke was on this whole time) started revving up to its usual 2-3K "idle" with the choke on.

I had been cranking it yesterday, and had hooked up a battery charger set to 2amps/12volts.
    I noticed before I started it that the headlight wouldn't come on, but I decided to figure that issue out tomorrow.

So, bike's running about 2K rpm, I'm waiting for it to warm up, and I decide to check the turn signals.
    Left turn signal blinks, no problem. Right turn signal....
    Ka-whooosh. Bike dies. Neutral and oil light go out. Still hooked to the charger. Disconnect the charger and find the leftmost fuse (from seated) is blown.

Let's call the leftmost fuse #1. I moved fuse #2 to the slot for #1. Lights came back on, bike cranked. I didn't start it, but checked the turn signals.
    Left blinked, right didn't and both lights went out.

So.... where do I start? The fuse sockets are pretty darned rusty, and need to be cleaned. The fuses will all be replaced. The manual I have lists 10/10/10/10/15. Which is the 15A fuse?

And, I'm thinking start by looking for a short in the right turn signal wiring. ...And a reason the headlight stopped working since I pulled and reinstalled the gas tank and carbs.

But anyway... The carbs are cleaned! Woohoo!

-William

I will guess that the '81 650L is a bit like the '82 650L that is on my back porch (and a lot of other GSs).
    There is a pair of screws at one end of the fuse panel, we will save them for last and start numbering at the other end.
    #1 is your LIGHTS fuse that powers the headlight and tail light, along with the instrument lights
    #2 is your SIGNAL fuse that powers your turn signals, brake lights and horn. It also powers the gear indicator and oil pressure light on some bikes.
    #3 is your IGNITION fuse that powers the coils and the ignitor.
    #4 is your MAIN fuse, the only one that left the factory with a 15-amp rating.
    #5 is your AUX fuse, it powers one of the screws right next to it. The other screw is a ground connection.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

First check the signal bulb sockets for heat damage (melted)
      I'd move from there to checking wiring. You have a direct short when you turn on the right signal.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

All right. Last week, I replaced the right rear turn signal bulb.

Instead of blinking for both sides, for the right side (I disassembled the relay and watched ) it simply arced across the contacts. That said bad bulb to me, I replaced it, and no issues.
        I'm hoping I managed to snag a wire with the gas tank.

The bulb sockets looked good.

Suppose I wanted to replace all the wiring. Is there a unified wiring harness I could buy?

Thanks,
        William

Comment

Well, I cleaned the fuse contacts today and the fuses, checking their arrangement.

Popped in all the new fuses, bike started right up, no problems, turn signals and all.

It ran like a top, up and down my street. Workin on my checklist, hoping to be on the road this week!

I'm blaming the blown fuse on the battery charger being on and the bike running at the same time.

Thanks for the help!
          William

Comment

How many amps were you pushing with that charger?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X