Petcock still leaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock still leaks!

So I put a new OEM o-ring on the petcock base as well as the 2 washers for the bolts and I still have a slight leak from the tank..I inspected the tank and its flat and clean before I installed the petcock..anyone have any tricks for this? I even tried thread sealant on the bolts and didnt help..

DDM

Are you sure it's leaking from the mounting surface?

It could very easily leak from the inside, which would show up around the selector lever or the vacuum diaphragm.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Petcock Mounting Washers

What kind of washers did you use? Steel washers will leak (DAMHIK). The specified washers are the "oil gallery exhaust" washer which is a steel OD with inner ring of rubber. I've gotten by with "fiber" washers from the local hardware store too but hard washers won't work, at least for me.
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Yeah its leaking from the bolt holes...a drop on each bolt head..I used OEM washers from bike bandit..steel outer rubber inner..directly from the parts breakdown on their site. and used a new OEM o-ring for the main body.

DDM

Comment

Try some Hylomar on the threads. It's gas resistant.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well not long after the last post by Chef I figured out my issue...I had full thread bolts holding the petcock in...duh!..fuelwas slowly wicking its way down the threads and their would be a dropon each head of the bolt in the morning...switched them out with stopped thread bolts and after 3 days of sitting with a full tank no leak...geez..dumb mistake

DDM

Comment

Yeah i had my bolts leak too, I forgot to put the washers on, put them back on, tightened it better, and Permatexed the **** out of it.....haven't heard from it since!

Comment

Working...
              X