Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake light switch

Hello all,
    On my 1980 GS850L when the front brake handle is squeezed the brake light does not come on. The rear brake pedal activates the light.
    Is the a separate switch for the front brake? Is it adjustable/replaceable.Where is it located.

The front brake switch is located on the bottom of the front master cylinder near the brake lever. It is held in place by two screws. It is replaceable and it can be cleaned. When you remove the screws keep your hand underneath the switch since there are some small parts that can fall out.

Comment

Sometimes this switch is too far gone to repair, or even just plain gone
      I replaced a banjo on the splitter block on the bottom yoke with a hydraulic switch and it works great.
      sigpic
      Current bikes:
      1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
      Previous bikes:
      More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
      Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
      1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
      1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Comment

I replaced a banjo on the splitter block on the bottom yoke with a hydraulic switch and it works great.
        That sounds like an interesting option, do you have a link to a switch of this type?

Comment

Here's one from Z1:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Though they don't seem to have the single banjo type (which is odd, because I'm looking at my bike which only has a single front caliper so I couldn't possibly use this part, anyway...).

If you want the original type mechanical switch (hey, how long did it last?), CRC2 has em for about $9-10 before shipping. Even inclusive of shipping it's less than you can buy them for anywhere else I think.

Comment

basscliff has a great tutorial on his site that explains the whole process of cleaning the switch.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. KDS111,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, check my site to find a front brake switch repair/cleaning/service guide. Then check the "Brakes Odds and Ends" section for a couple of links to banjo bolt switches (pressure switches) for the front brake if you decide to go that route.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here's a couple pics of it from my GK.

The old contact VS. the new one.

The new sliding thingy that rests in the handle (and the old one). Be careful when you take this apart. Little pieces will go flying !!

Partially together. Just need the contact and cover screwed back on. As the brake handle is squeezed the sliding thingy moves across the contact making the brakelight work.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

way better off to buy a new one.. that little spring behind the brass contactor thing is usually so rusted and weak its not worth the bother..Any bike that has the clutch switch or the brake switch like that will work..its not a model specific item..find them on ebay all the time too for cheap
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

screw those Suzuki contact slider pieces of crap. Not worth the time adjusting them. Buy a hydrolic switch in the form of a banjo bolt. Replace your stock banjo bolt with one of these, wires hook into your existing system. And bobs your uncle.

Comment

Single banjo bolt brake light switch

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Working...
                      X