Carb Circuits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Circuits?

Can someone explain carb circuits to me? Is it throttle based or RPM based? (If I turn 1/2 throttle in first gear the RPMs are going to be a lot higher than 1/2 throttle in 5th gear.)

The basic bench sync and fuel needles handle the idle circuit correct?

Then the jet needle and slide control mixture at what?

Full throttle is main jet?

I'm just trying to get a better basic understanding here...

For CV carbs, it's RPM based. As the engine speed increases, the airflow increases, increasing the vacuum that raises the slides, and consequently, the needles. for a better explanation then I can give, go to Basscliff's Website and check out the manual for the Mikuni BS32 carbs. It has diagrams and explanations on how the carbs function.

JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

This is a perfect post for the new Carbs forum. How about asking the Admin. (Frank) to move this thread over there?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Paul, that makes sense.

Then the smoothbores would be throttle based?

Nessism, I couldn't find the new carb forum when I posted this...
        Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I had a good book from the library that did a good job at describing how a carb works, what certain symptoms mean etc, but I didn't read the whole thing... it was kinda dry...

Carburetor basics, trouble-shooting, and rebuilding by Sandor D. Racz. 1974

Comment

A little hard to find these new forums...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
              For CV carbs, it's RPM based. As the engine speed increases, the airflow increases, increasing the vacuum that raises the slides, and consequently, the needles. for a better explanation then I can give, go to Basscliff's Website and check out the manual for the Mikuni BS32 carbs. It has diagrams and explanations on how the carbs function.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
              I disagree.
              The air flow is created by the opening of the butterflies of the carbs. That is why I mark the throttle to do plug chops.
              Throttle closed to 1/4 throttle = pilot into needle circit
              1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle = needle circuit that also feeds off the pilot and main
              3/4 to full throttle = main jet ciruit the needle is out of the picture here but fuel is still being fed through the pilot circuit.
              I agree that the RPMs (compression) do pull the air through the venturi that pulls the fuel out of the float bowl but the amount the butterflies are open determines how much.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

opening the throttle butterflies increases the vacuum causing more air to be sucked through the airbox, into the carbs,and the air/gas mixture into the engine. That vacuum pull is what increases the RPMs. At full throttle the plates are horizontal, causing the airflow through the carbs to be at it's maximum.

So it all depends as to where the throttle butterflies are.. I see I see....

so when doing plug chops, it doesn't matter if you're in 1st or 5th gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
                  opening the throttle butterflies increases the vacuum causing more air to be sucked through the airbox, into the carbs,and the air/gas mixture into the engine. That vacuum pull is what increases the RPMs. At full throttle the plates are horizontal, causing the airflow through the carbs to be at it's maximum.

So it all depends as to where the throttle butterflies are.. I see I see....

so when doing plug chops, it doesn't matter if you're in 1st or 5th gear?
                  That's correct
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I've never found a simpler explanation than this one.

Paul
                    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I disagree.
                      The air flow is created by the opening of the butterflies of the carbs. That is why I mark the throttle to do plug chops.
                      Throttle closed to 1/4 throttle = pilot into needle circit
                      1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle = needle circuit that also feeds off the pilot and main
                      3/4 to full throttle = main jet ciruit the needle is out of the picture here but fuel is still being fed through the pilot circuit.
                      I agree that the RPMs (compression) do pull the air through the venturi that pulls the fuel out of the float bowl but the amount the butterflies are open determines how much.
                      I may be way off base since carb tuning is definately not my thing. You're correct in that the throttle opening controls the airflow into the carbs. I was describing what controls which carb circuit is used from the view of the physics involved. If, for example, there is an air leak downstream of the carb, the throttle position needed to change the circuit used would shift because it would be harder for the engine to create the necessary vacuum in the carb to raise the slide. And in the case of doing plug chops, I believe that you take the bike up to speed at whatever throttle opening you're checking, and hold it at that opening long enough to stabilize, or for the carb to "catch up" with the butterfly opening, since there is a slight time lag between opening the butterfly and the vacuum increasing to raise the slide.

But then again, my eyes may be turing brown because I'm so full of chit.
                      JP
                      1992 Concours
                      2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                        I may be way off base since carb tuning is definately not my thing. You're correct in that the throttle opening controls the airflow into the carbs. I was describing what controls which carb circuit is used from the view of the physics involved. If, for example, there is an air leak downstream of the carb, the throttle position needed to change the circuit used would shift because it would be harder for the engine to create the necessary vacuum in the carb to raise the slide. And in the case of doing plug chops, I believe that you take the bike up to speed at whatever throttle opening you're checking, and hold it at that opening long enough to stabilize, or for the carb to "catch up" with the butterfly opening, since there is a slight time lag between opening the butterfly and the vacuum increasing to raise the slide.

But then again, my eyes may be turing brown because I'm so full of chit.
                        I don't think your FOS and I respect your post. I agree the flow of air from the rate of the pull of compression (RPMs) will raise the slides in the CV carbs hence constant velocity carbs. It's just that the butterflies control how much air is allowed to enter.
                        CVs are smoother than VM carbs but not as responsive because of exactly what you said. The mechanical slides are ripped open with the throttle so without an accel pump you have a vacuum void for a split second until the fuel starts to flow. The CVs rely on the air flow to lift the slide so it's not instant so no void.

Comment

but I thought smoothbores were better for racers because there was not the delay between the time the butterfly opens, and the time the slides raise that comes with CV carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
                            but I thought smoothbores were better for racers because there was not the delay between the time the butterfly opens, and the time the slides raise that comes with CV carbs?
                            But dragracers don't wack the throttle. They start at full throttle with a rev limiter.

Comment

Smoothbores would be a better choice for roadracing, because of the quicker response. For dragracing, if your revs drop to where you are off the main jets, you've probably lost already.
                              JP
                              1992 Concours
                              2007 FJR

Comment

Working...
                              X