By-passing the pre-muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By-passing the pre-muffler

You know that "H" connector that connects the #2 and #3 pipes to the exhaust... mine is toast. I am wondering what kind of hell I would be getting into if I simply directly connected the #3 to the 3/4 pip and #2 to the 1/2 pipe.

In other words... I get rid of the "H" altogether...
    Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling

You'll be fine. How are you going to do it?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      You'll be fine. How are you going to do it?
      I was going to buy some straight pipe from a muffler shop and try to make something up...

Comment

It should work just fine. don't forget the packing for each end, or make sure the pipe fit's tightly into and over the pipes/mufflers.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          It should work just fine. don't forget the packing for each end, or make sure the pipe fit's tightly into and over the pipes/mufflers.
          Exactly... and I'll also need to add some kind of bracket to fit onto the frame... which is PART of the reason I want to buy an arc stick welder.

Canadian Tire has the basic stuff I need for this part - I'll send pics tomorrow to show my progress thus far... who knows... maybe I'll be able to try to start the bike tonight!

Again thanks for all your help (everyone). This project bike is a lot of fun for me and an excellent way to relax - the bike only needs to be fixed... and I can do it... with everyone's help!

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
            Exactly... and I'll also need to add some kind of bracket to fit onto the frame... which is PART of the reason I want to buy an arc stick welder.
            Forget the stick welder and get a Mig...

Comment

Forget the stick welder and get a Mig...
              That's $499.99 versus $199.99 - is it worth it?!

Comment

You don't need a welder (for this project, anyway). Just about $20 and a little time.

I got 18" sections of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe at Auto Zone for $6.99 each. Cut them to 7" long, cut slits in the flared end.
                Smoothe out out ragged edges from the cuts, put it all together, using the original clamps.

The reasonI had to do this:

I cut my pipes to 7 1/2", found out that's too long. Cut them at 7".

Assembled pipes. Sorry, don't have one of them installed on the bike.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your pre-muffler and my pre-muffler are related!

Hi Steve,

Your pre-muffler looks exactly like mine. I have printed your post and will be following it.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
                    That's $499.99 versus $199.99 - is it worth it?!
                    I can't say if it is, or isn't worth it for you.

but all my stick welder is doing is gathering dust.

Comment

You don't even need a bracket to help support the area where the H pipe went. Your exhaust will look like my '79 which there is no hang supporting the exhaust at that point. Although, i isn't a bad idea to have some type of support there.
                      1979 GS850G
                      2004 SV650N track bike
                      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Hi,

And don't forget, when you vacuum sync your carbs you can set all of the levels the same across the cylinders. The factory manual says to set them a little differently when you have the "pre-muffler" installed.

For example, the 1980 GS850GT (with pre-muffler):

And the 1979 GS850GN (straight 4-n-2, no pre-muffler):

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow... and BassCliff adds something more...

How does BassCliff notice these differences?! Interesting difference in setups... I am SO glad there are so many good people here! I have to vacuum sync my carbs... how to do this???? So far so good:

My FIRST modification!
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I can't say if it is, or isn't worth it for you.

but all my stick welder is doing is gathering dust.
                            My stick welder gets used when I have to weld heavy metal, like when I was making my plow mount for my truck, or the front engine mount fot the motorhome. Otherwise, the mig with .035 wire works for almost everything else. The thinner metals, I use thinner wire.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                              My stick welder gets used when I have to weld heavy metal, like when I was making my plow mount for my truck, or the front engine mount fot the motorhome. Otherwise, the mig with .035 wire works for almost everything else. The thinner metals, I use thinner wire.
                              OK... so MIG is for more precise work... I need to do research.

Comment

Working...
                              X